wma player

It would be nice, but I've already got all my tracks as .ogg, which there's a player for now anyway.

i prefer ogg than wma.

hope there will be a new release of gp ogg :rolleyes:

OK theres two main reasons why ogg is better than WMA.

Techncal. ogg files have been shown to sound a lot better than WMA files for a given size.

Licencing. ogg is an open standard so anyone can make a player or encoder without having to pay fees to anyone. WMA on the other hand is a closed standard owned my Microsoft and they will not release the specs unless you pay them a big fat fee, sign hundreds of NDAs and agree to give them a further cut for every copy of the program ship ped (even if you give theprogram away for free). Also the newer versions of WMA support something called DRM, which is a system designed to make music files which will only play one one player. Lots of people think this stinks so they don't use WMA for that reason.

In short there almost no chance of getting a WMA player on the GP32, and even if one was released, you'd be better off avoiding it.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Baggy

..it's also a horrible proprietary format with no released info on it, so afaik nobody can make players for it easily (basically not open-source). I don't think it's that much better than OGG.

So I guess ogg would be better than wma.
In fact I really didnt knew the difference between the 2 formats because Im always using MP3.
We will have to wait for a new ogg player :)
See you ;)

generalnmx posted on Oct 3 2003 at 07:11 PM said:
There are conversion tools for converting from WMA to other formats. Since WMA files are ridiculously large, I'd rather have it compressed in another format.
are you sure you dont mean WAV?

Last edited by a moderator:
divadsci posted on Oct 4 2003 at 09:51 PM said:
generalnmx posted on Oct 3 2003 at 07:11 PM said:
There are conversion tools for converting from WMA to other formats. Since WMA files are ridiculously large, I'd rather have it compressed in another format.
are you sure you dont mean WAV?
Yeah, wma is smaller than mp3 :S

Azure posted on Oct 4 2003 at 11:41 PM said:
My MP3s take up way too much room on my SMC, a wma player would be real nice.
Well you wont ever get one, ever.
Use OGG from now on.

Back