[Wiz] Wiz-2600: Atari 2600 Emulator For Wiz V1.1.0

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
wiz2600-v110.jpg

Hi All,

Stella is on of the best emulator of Atari 2600 game console, running on many different systems,
such as Linux, Solaris, Windows, MacOS/X, WinCE, OS/2, GP2X.

It has been written initially by Bradford Mott, see Stella site for details.

Here is a port on GP2X-Wiz of the version i've previously ported to PSP.

Many new features have been added compared to GP2X-F100 version. Here is a copy of the changelog :

- Cheat support !
- New background images
- Text editor to write your own comments on games
- Text editor to modify the global cheat.txt file
- Display first comment line while browsing game files
- Memory monitoring engine to find your own cheat code !
- Improve file requester with virtual keyboard to choose
sequentially rom files beginning with a given letter
- Add documentation for settings in help menu
- A thumbnail image is now displayed in the file requester
while selecting any file with the same name of a previously
saved game (rom, keyboard, settings).
It might be very helpful to recognize that game later if you
have thousand different games on your disk and rom folders !

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/

Enjoy,

Zx.

UPDATE: You can download it here
UPDATE2: A Gp2x-F100 version is available here

Great work as always Zx, this one woks flawless just like your others. I've been waiting on this one. Once you get going, your a machine with the ports. Keep up the awesome work. I'm waiting for 5200,7800, and Intellivision. I'm guessing they will be along in the next week or so based on your current progress.

Take Care,
Jumpman
Sin City

Thank you very much, Zx! The Atari 2600 was my first console, and still one of my favorite consoles. I'm glad it can finally be emulated on the Wiz. Now I will be able to play its games while I am riding the subway.

Kool Aid Man doesn't run, although I'm not really surprised. This game did not run on Stella until a much more recent version than the one you ported. It doesn't matter; River Raid runs. I really appreciate all the work you did on this port.

Ghaleon

Wow, thank you again zx-81! Another great day for emulator fans.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

Another excellent port zx-81. (I've been waiting for a 2600 emulator for ages) :)
But a quick question while I'm here, what do the 'RDiffA, RDiffB, LDiffA & LDiffB' buttons do? (I never had an Atari 2600, I used to use my mates!)
I've remapped the keyboard settings to press them all. (I think they were settings for something, but nothing happens when pressed)
Cheers, Neil

On the subject of some games not working, all the 32 in 1 (PAL) games either hang up, crash back to the menu or restart the Wiz.

Thanks for this great port Zx :) Today was my birthday (when I saw this here) and this was a great present!

Thanks for the continued great work on these fine emus.

Neil L said:
But a quick question while I'm here, what do the 'RDiffA, RDiffB, LDiffA & LDiffB' buttons do? (I never had an Atari 2600, I used to use my mates!)
I've remapped the keyboard settings to press them all. (I think they were settings for something, but nothing happens when pressed)
Cheers, Neil

Please ignore the question above that I posted earlier, I've sussed it out now. (Could something pop up on the screen to show that the 'switches' have been moved?)
RDiffA = Player 2 difficulty switch - easy setting (A)
RDiffB = Player 2 difficulty switch - hard setting (B )
LDiffA = Player 1 difficulty switch - easy setting (A)
LDiffB = Player 1 difficulty switch - hard setting (B )

They weren't working earlier as the settings I set them don't seem to be working.
The settings in the keyboard settings screen that don't work are: Up, Down, Left, Right & JoyFire. (I wondered why there were 2 settings and only one D-pad)
Also the joysticks are named J0 & J1, not J1 & J2 which confused me even more (could these be changed?)
I don't know if this mapping problem's in just this emulator or all of your others. (I haven't had time to check them yet)
Oh, and it sometimes hangs up on exiting. (Only if you exit one of your emulators more than once between restating the Wiz)

Apart from these few niggles, the emulator is perfect. (Atari 5200/7200 would also be super) :)

Edit: I've just checked your other emulators (MSX, ColecoVision & Amstrad CPC) and Up, Down, Left, Right & JoyFire don't work on them either, sorry. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil L said:
Please ignore the question above that I posted earlier, I've sussed it out now. (Could something pop up on the screen to show that the 'switches' have been moved?)
RDiffA = Player 2 difficulty switch - easy setting (A)
RDiffB = Player 2 difficulty switch - hard setting (B )
LDiffA = Player 1 difficulty switch - easy setting (A)
LDiffB = Player 1 difficulty switch - hard setting (B )

They weren't working earlier as the settings I set them don't seem to be working.
The settings in the keyboard settings screen that don't work are: Up, Down, Left, Right & JoyFire. (I wondered why there were 2 settings and only one D-pad)
Also the joysticks are named J0 & J1, not J1 & J2 which confused me even more (could these be changed?)
I don't know if this mapping problem's in just this emulator or all of your others. (I haven't had time to check them yet)
Oh, and it sometimes hangs up on exiting.

Apart from these few niggles, the emulator is perfect. (Atari 5200/7200 would also be super) :)

Edit: I've just checked your other emulators and Up, Down, Left, Right & JoyFire don't work on them either, sorry. :(

You have two sets of up, down left, right keys. It's a port of PSP version. On PSP you have analog pad and digital pad, on a wiz or gp2x you have only one pad. So i
keep PSP mapping but with on option to toggle between the two pad mappings (see option "swap analog/Cursor" in joystick menu).

In keyboard menu, by default the gp2x/wiz pad is JoyUp, JoyDown, JoyLeft and JoyRight. When the "swap analog" option is on, then the mapping is "Up, Down, Left, right".

Thanks for your quick reply, that's sorted that problem out. (The JoyFire option is not needed though)
I wondered what the 'swap analog/cursor' option was (I know now, I should of checked)
Could the option to swap analog/cursor be added to the key mappings? (This would be perfect for swapping between player 1/2, apart from having to use different fire buttons)
Could these be renamed to Left (1), Right (1), Up (1), Down (1) & Left (2) etc. as we don't have analog & digital pads.
Cheers for clearing that matter up, Neil

Neil L said:
Thanks for your quick reply, that's sorted that problem out. (The JoyFire option is not needed though)
I wondered what the 'swap analog/cursor' option was (I know now, I should of checked)
Could the option to swap analog/cursor be added to the key mappings? (This would be perfect for swapping between player 1/2, apart from having to use different fire buttons)
Cheers for clearing that matter up, Neil

In the keyboard mapping you can use C_JOY (shortkey to swap between analog/cursor). If you define and save this keyboard mapping on emulator startup ("default" game) it will then be used as default mapping.

Thank you, another thing I've learnt today.
I can't speak the PSP lingo but I'm picking it up. :)

Edit: I just found out that I couldn't save my joystick settings as there was no 'joy' folder, I put one in the 'wiz2600' folder and it saves fine now.

Neil L said:
Thank you, another thing I've learnt today.
I can't speak the PSP lingo but I'm picking it up. :)

Edit: I just found out that I couldn't save my joystick settings as there was no 'joy' folder, I put one in the 'wiz2600' folder and it saves fine now.

oops, you're right .. I've forgotten this folder :(

I was trying to find a few options there were in the PC and GP2X Stella but couldn't find them. I was trying to switch palettes between "current Stella palette", "original Stella palette", and the "z26 palette" to see what would look best. Is there a way to change palettes? Maybe there is a config file that could be edited?

Thanks again for the great ports.

DaveC said:
I was trying to find a few options there were in the PC and GP2X Stella but couldn't find them. I was trying to switch palettes between "current Stella palette", "original Stella palette", and the "z26 palette" to see what would look best. Is there a way to change palettes? Maybe there is a config file that could be edited?

Thanks again for the great ports.

Unfortunately there is no way to specify another palette. May be in future versions ?

Sorry to post this in another one of your threads but I saw your Atari 7800 emulator was now on the Wiz.

Thank you zx-81

Crookedmouth said:
Sorry to post this in another one of your threads but I saw your Atari 7800 emulator was now on the Wiz.

Thank you zx-81

glad to see you enjoy it :)

Hi zx,

I'm not complaining mind you, :)

I'm wondering if it would be too difficult to map the "select" switch to something other then the "B" button. I very often press the "B" button by accident only to reset the game.

I really like that you use the "X" button as your fire button in your emulators, it's just that the "B" button is so easy to hit instead.

If not that's cool too because your emulators still get the most use from me.

Thanks,

You can map all the buttons, just go to the 'Keyboard' setting on the menu.
Make sure you set these before playing a game (when 'game: default' is in the top right corner) to set them for all games and save them.
If you get confused by the 2 joystick settings see the above posts. :)

Cheers, Neil

Back