Wiz Vs Canoo

tds48

Hi there

It says on the forum heading I can ask any question ... so here goes

I have never had a gp2x product (had psp, dingoo and pandora). None of them delivered what i was after, but I still have a craving for retro gaming. I am torn between the wiz and the caanoo.

Is it fair to say the caanoo is the better option? If so does anyone know where I can get one in the uk?

Thanks!

hm, i don't know, if you weren't happy with any of the 3, i might think neither wiz or caanoo are the one's you are looking for?

anyway, it depends on what you want - both are more or less the same thing, both with their pros and cons. I don't have a caanoo, so my opinion about it, was built upon readings here in the forum. i have a wiz and i'm happy with it, the caanoo doesn't give me anything at the moment, what i can't have on the wiz.

if you like to play snes and mega drive games, i would get the wiz. both emulators work great (at least for the games i've tried) and for that retro style games, it's better to have a dpad IMO than a stick.

if you don't like any of the three portable consoles, as crow_riot said, you probably won't be happy with wiz or caanoo. Can you tell us a bit more on why psp, dingoo or pandora didn't fit your needs ?

From my point of view the main differences between the wiz and the caanoo are :
- the size (wiz has the same size as a dingoo, the caanoo has the same size as a pandora, but thinnest)
- the screen size (nice on the wiz, but as small as the dingoo one). the caanoo screen is smaller than the psp (i would said from 25%)
- boot time (more than 30 sec on the wiz, compared to few seconds on the caanoo)
- wifi support (well supported on the caanoo using latest fw and the GPH dongle, on the wiz you need a bit of electronic skill)
- number of homebrew (the caanoo is a new console, all emulators / games are not already ported, but the dev scene is really active, and GPH provides commercial games etc ...)

IF you didn't like the pandora, I would have to assume you would not like the Wiz or Caanoo.

I don't have a pandora but was wanting to upgrade to a pandora eventually because of the bigger screen and better controls, and hopefully faster emulation for the SNES.

But I really want to hear why you didn't like the Pandora.

My experience so far is that I like the Wiz better. Its not even really a matter of support [the Wiz has been out longer and has a ton more to offer in the emulators category] But i prefer the original d-pad on my Wiz over the analog stick of the Caanoo. I'm also REALLY frustrated with the whole fungp.com DRM thing. I just can't shake the feeling that the initial export sales of the Caanoo weren't quite what GPH was expecting and have pretty much have given up on porting any more games. [even though I was told summer '11 was when to expect Dungeon Hunters and Asura FC....we'll see.]

I would say check the file archives for both systems and judge according to that. As far as compatibility, etc...they're both pretty comparable. I honestly like the screen on the Wiz more as well. The wi-fi on the Caanoo would be cool....IF THEY'D RELEASE ASURA FC AND WE COULD PLAY IT ONLINE.

I have GP2X, Wiz, Pandora and Caanoo .. from my point of view, the Caanoo is the most fun to just pick up and start playing with, but it took a lot of futzing around to get it working and ready to roll .. building an SD card full of games and so on is really not very fun. The Pandora, from that perspective, is a *lot* easier to get into - especially if you just download PND files from the various sources - but if you didn't like the Pandora physically, then I'd say go for the Caanoo .. its very comfortable, plays well, and is easy to pick up and put down for a while.

The Wiz I've found, hurts my hands after a few minutes of play .. even though the screen is fantastic for my games (I'm a MAME player, mostly, Juno-First is my primary addiction) I've just not ever found the Wiz to be terribly comfortable to handle. The Pandora is pretty comfortable, but the Caanoo fits better overall. The GP2X? Well, I've got three of them and every single one of them has some sort of hack on the stick to try to make it more tolerable for the same reason ..

Back