Wiz Video Scaler

Wolfspirit

Does the wiz have the same video scaler as the gp2x or will we have to convert all of our videos to a lower resolution?

I wish there was some lanczos filter or something similar. Bilinear is much simpler and usually good enough, though.

The good news is that the bilinear mode is optional, so you don't have to put up with blurry images if you don't like it.

So is it comparable to the gp2x's hardware scaler? Does anyone know the exact spec info on the chipset so I can do more research? It doesn't appear to least anything about hardware video scaling on the wikipedia. Anyone have any idea how movies would look on the small screen?

I don't have the feeling that the screen is small.Also the touchscreen is very accurately tip-able. You can click blocks with 4x4 pixels with no problem.

[personal experience following - skip if lazy]

See, my 2 kids use their GP2X for video watching when we're on long journeys. And it's always a pain to adjust the viewing angle to satisfy each kid. When one battery goed dead, they put the other device in the middle (with power cable) and try watching one film together. Then the viewing angle of the GP2X display is a great problem. A quarrel starts, ending in a fight, screaming and howling.

The WIZ, however, features a great viewing angle from any side. No colour distortion, no different brightness in the corners.

So, for videos the WIZs display much better than the F100/F200, because of the OLED display.
YouTube for "oled display" to get a picture of what we are talking about.

Honestly, I was a bit sceptic at first, too. But the WIZ totally overcome my prejudices.

Also, the processor is powerful enough to let me play a mini-physics GLBasic game with full screen alpha blended, real time rotated sprites all over the screen with no slowdown. And I'm not even using the 3D chip, yet.
Totally convinced me.

Back