Wiz Tv Out Cable... ?

but everything i read said the unit is EXPECTED to have a tv-out function. granted, there are no sites with the tested results as there is no such thing apparently. but GPH should have corrected themselves much sooner. I have read things that were previews for the launch (aka written in early may"] that mention tv-out. if GPH has known for a few months now that it wasnt really a possibility, a simple email or ad of some sort should have been made public.

Just my 2 cents

Xenjoi
TV out on the Wiz has been discussed time and time again on these forums, and always we have said that it's not implemented and is unlikely to be so. If GPH do manage to get it working via their up-coming cradle will be a very interesting surprise, but as far as I know this ain't going to happen.

The Wiz is designed as an "on the go" handheld console, why ever anyone would want TV out from it baffles me and I "personally" don't see the point! Maybe someone could enlighten me to why it is so important to them.[/quote]Well l did search the forums here for info on tv out using the advanced search feature found here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=Search, using the keywords "tv out" and l am told that there are no results to display. So if it's been discussed time and time again as you put it, then the search functionality of this invision powerboard install needs to be re-tooled.

I agree with you 100% on the point that the entire premise of the gp2x line is to be an ultra portable gaming system - however the idea of sharing mame/retro games etc while visiting with less tech savvy friends and family members by hooking the unit up to the TV and making a family night out of it was rather appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
BUT if I were to take the exact same console, plug it into a TV with a couple of pads, and say 'check out all the great games we can play TOGETHER' the purchase would be held up as a good thing by one and all)

Plug what pads into what and where exactyl? ;)

Yeah, as I've said about 3 times in this thread, that's exactly why I didn't bother getting a Wiz :D

TV out isn't essential, but it does add a bit more use to a device like this.

Well l did search the forums here for info on tv out using the advanced search feature found here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=Search, using the keywords "tv out" and l am told that there are no results to display. So if it's been discussed time and time again as you put it, then the search functionality of this invision powerboard install needs to be re-tooled.
Have you noticed this thread didn't even come up in the results? It's because at the moment the search disregards anything less than 3 characters long :(

ANYWAYS.

I remember seeing an image a long time ago. Whether it was for the GP2X or the Wiz, I'm not sure, but it had usb portson it, so you can hook up multiple controllers, and hook it to the tv, etc etc.

That, also, is why I wanted a Wiz in the first place :/

If you are going to a friends house then you simply download an emulator for their PC and plug controls into that and play multiplayer?
-points to a post above-

Theres a world of difference between huddling up near a computer and chilling on the couch playing on a huge tv screen.

I really like how some people just spit out their preprepared statements and don't bother reading anything which contradicts their views :D

Theres a world of difference between huddling up near a computer and chilling on the couch playing on a huge tv screen.
I just plug my lappy into my tv and get the same result. A netbook would do exactly the same, with more consistant results and decent video output.

Anyway...

Well thats great and all, but I don't really see what that proves one way or another...

The question was, why would anyone want TV out on a handheld.
The fact that you would use a lap top or a netbook, is neither here nor there.
It does kinda make you look like a pedantic dick, but it doesn't stop TV out and usb support being a useful feature for a hand held to have :D

I see the point for both sides no bones about it. I do see the appeal of plugging it into a BSTV and playing DD shadows with you and 3 homies. That would be awsome no doubt. but, this is only an option with a cradle. Maybe the TV-out could be a standalone cable but the controllers would have to either be a propritary connection (more money) or USB'd to a cradle. also, you have to look at exspenses. i like open source products cause unlike my PS3, i can make a one time purchese and constantly upgrade my device with new games and apps. instead of buying that hot new title that just came out every other month and turn a 600 dollar (already slightly over priced) investment into a 3,000 dollar one through game library expansion. buying a cradle then, and perhaps the controllers even, is perhaps an unexpected expense and one that many consumers wont want to invest in. For the record i am not speaking from a biased point of view. I truly dont mind either way because im not loosing anything from a lack of TV out and i honestly see why some would prefer it.

Personally, i wont get a TV-out cable cause its a waste of money (for me), and i surly dont want to plug in 4 controllers behind that cable and have a christmas tree looking thing outta my Wiz (sounds so wrong lol) BUT, a cradle with everything included is a completly different story. I can see the advantages to an all-in-one setup. so maybe we should be asking for the cradle the whole time and not a tv-out cable lol NOTE: sorry for the spelling errors

If you are going to a friends house then you simply download an emulator for their PC and plug controls into that and play multiplayer?
-points to a post above-

Most modern graphics cards seem to output something that could be plugged into a TV anyway. Or maybe it is just that my monitor is near enough the size of a TV screen anyway that I would not really care.

Well thats great and all, but I don't really see what that proves one way or another...

The question was, why would anyone want TV out on a handheld.
The fact that you would use a lap top or a netbook, is neither here nor there.
It does kinda make you look like a pedantic dick, but it doesn't stop TV out and usb support being a useful feature for a hand held to have :D
In what way was my comment pedantic? The cost of a Wiz, potential (but non-existant) cradle and tv cable you can get a netbook which would do exactly the same job and better. Nothing pedantic about that.

I'm stoked that you think that a Wiz and all the gubbins is a better idea, but to voice my opinion is neither being pedantic or de-valuing your opinion. I asked for a reason to use a tv out cable on the Wiz, you gave your answer. And I didn't even call you a dick or a moron for giving such a view.

I'm afraid there is, and your follow up post does nothing to convince me to drop my charge of you being pedantic.

The question is 'Why would anyone want TV out on a Wiz'
You answering that you'd use a laptop, is, as I said neither here nor there. It doesn't address the question of WHY someone would want TV out does it?
Never mind the fact that if you're going with that line of arguament, why would anyone want a Wiz?
If you could please inform me how your preference toward using a laptop/netbook in ANYWAY adresses the issue of why people would want TV out on a Wiz, I'd happily drop the charge :D

Another reason people might want TV out is to watch movies on a tv.
Its sold as a media device isn't it?
(let me guess, you'd just use a freaking lap top?)

I have been in a sittuation several times where I've gone round a friends house, who doesn't own any of these high tech devicess, and wished to all the gods in the sky I could have just stuck a film or something on a portable media device and watched something with them, without having to encode it onto DVD (because 9/10 if it involved that I wont bother).

The fact that the Wiz can't do any of this stuff, is exactly why I didn't bother buying it.
If its a portable device, surely it should be used when you're out the house?
Anything which brings more usability in social sittuations is better I would have thought?

I guess your both right though, replaying a snes game by myself on a tiny screen would be way more rewarding :D

The fact that the Wiz can't do any of this stuff, is exactly why I didn't bother buying it.
If its a portable device, surely it should be used when you're out the house?
Anything which brings more usability in social sittuations is better I would have thought?

I guess your both right though, replaying a snes game by myself on a tiny screen would be way more rewarding :D
I hear ya on 'movie at a friends house' idea. the only crappy thing that would still remain though, is scaling to the screen size and the fact that the only connection type that would be sure to be supported on 85% of TV's is VGA an if you have a scaled video (which apparently most have to be, to play skip-free on the wiz) on a VGA display, its gonna suck.

does the Wiz auto scale?

Back