Wiz Back On Sale

LTStone

Yay, Wiz is back on sale at thinkgeek for $99, I may have to get another..

Yeah, I noticed that a week or so ago. I've still been using my GP32, but I'm becoming frustrated with the lack of development for it, and the difficulty in getting C++ code to run (Slaanesh seems to be the only person that's figured it out, and I can't get any contact back from him).

So, today I finally ordered myself a Wiz from ThinkGeek. :) I found a code (DEALNEWS15) for 15% off sale items, which brought the price down to $85, and I got an extra $10 off that by using the Secret Coupon Page code (SUPERSECRET750).

Including 2-day shipping, it cost me a grand total of $86.58. :D You could get it at around $80 even, if you chose economy shipping. It'd be around $85 or $83 if you picked 3-day or UPS ground. That is, if shipping costs are the same to where you live as they are to where I live.

Whoa cool, nice to know, I think Im gonna order one tonight.

jmetal88 said:
Yeah, I noticed that a week or so ago. I've still been using my GP32, but I'm becoming frustrated with the lack of development for it, and the difficulty in getting C++ code to run (Slaanesh seems to be the only person that's figured it out, and I can't get any contact back from him).

So, today I finally ordered myself a Wiz from ThinkGeek. :) I found a code (DEALNEWS15) for 15% off sale items, which brought the price down to $85, and I got an extra $10 off that by using the Secret Coupon Page code (SUPERSECRET750).

Including 2-day shipping, it cost me a grand total of $86.58. :D You could get it at around $80 even, if you chose economy shipping. It'd be around $85 or $83 if you picked 3-day or UPS ground. That is, if shipping costs are the same to where you live as they are to where I live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arg sux I just missed the the 15% coupon, its is no longer valid, I could have got the Wiz for $75 Canadian. Still, it cost me a total of $92 so thats not bad..

LTStone said:
Whoa cool, nice to know, I think Im gonna order one tonight.

jmetal88 said:

Be warned, either the Wiz has had a bad batch lately (including ones being sold at Play Asia in October), but these ones have poor stereo audio separation.

The problem is that the left and right channel plays their respective sound, but the left channel ALSO plays right channel sound too. It's very poor.

These thinkgeek models also have poor underclockability, so to play PocketSNES, they require the modified PocketSNES, in order to not lock up.

This will be my third Wiz from Thinkgeek and I've had no probs yet so my fingers are crossed..

lnx64 said:
Be warned, either the Wiz has had a bad batch lately (including ones being sold at Play Asia in October), but these ones have poor stereo audio separation.

The problem is that the left and right channel plays their respective sound, but the left channel ALSO plays right channel sound too. It's very poor.

These thinkgeek models also have poor underclockability, so to play PocketSNES, they require the modified PocketSNES, in order to not lock up.

Well, since I already ordered the thing, I'll have to hope for the best. :lol:

In some of the threads I've read here, I've found some of the ThinkGeek units don't have the underclock problem - I was hoping I'd get lucky and end up with one like that. If I don't, it's no big deal, I'll just get the modified version of PocketSNES.

Hah, I'm really anticipating the arrival of this thing. I just set up a dev environment and compiled a Wiz binary from the latest OpenJazz source code. :lol:

It's pretty cool that Alister is keeping the capability to build Wiz binaries in his official source code. All I had to do was track down the proper Wiz libraries and compile. :)

Of course, I have no idea if it runs yet, but it did appear to produce a valid binary.

lnx64 said:

The Wiz and Caanoo have too many issues like this, which is why I decided to go with a PSP. The biggest problem with the PSP is tracking the right one down, tracking down the right memory cards, and researching the best firmware to install. I decided it was better to deal with these temporary frustrations than settle for something with permanent hardware frustrations.

Berserk said:
lnx64 said:

The Wiz and Caanoo have too many issues like this, which is why I decided to go with a PSP. The biggest problem with the PSP is tracking the right one down, tracking down the right memory cards, and researching the best firmware to install. I decided it was better to deal with these temporary frustrations than settle for something with permanent hardware frustrations.

I went for the Wiz 'cause it'll be easy to fit in my pocket. :p

That's what I do like about my Wiz's, they easily fit in the pocket, and on Picodrive, the AMOLED screen is PERFECTLY VSynced and looks great. The cannoo is large and doesn't VSync at all on any emulator.

I might just get me a PSP. My Wiz simply cannot handle how much I play it. Too bad; with a better button design, a more durable build, and some good QC this device would be awesome. I did get a lot of play on it so I'm lucky I suppose. Got it for Christmas so I'm not out any money.

jmetal88 said:
I went for the Wiz 'cause it'll be easy to fit in my pocket. :p
True. The Wiz is a good handheld. The problem I have are all of these duds people have been getting. Wasn't the last batch unable to run PocketSNES or some shit? Also, it just came out 2 years ago and people are already having trouble finding replacement batteries. For me, that was the deal breaker.

lnx64 said:
That's what I do like about my Wiz's, they easily fit in the pocket, and on Picodrive, the AMOLED screen is PERFECTLY VSynced and looks great. The cannoo is large and doesn't VSync at all on any emulator.
I don't consider size much of an issue since I want a big screen for watching videos. Also, the Caanoo may be the most comfortable handheld around, which really wouldn't be possible if it were much smaller. That vsync problem would drive me batty, though. Full speed emulators running as if they're using frameskip? Ugh...

darklight1138 said:
I might just get me a PSP. My Wiz simply cannot handle how much I play it. Too bad; with a better button design, a more durable build, and some good QC this device would be awesome. I did get a lot of play on it so I'm lucky I suppose. Got it for Christmas so I'm not out any money.
It's too soon for me to tell you how durable my PSP is, but I do know that I haven't had a PS1 controller fail me yet and I've had mine for well over a decade. The biggest issue with Sony controllers may be how hard they're on your fingers than how hard your fingers are on them. That directional pad is a blister machine, but that's only if I use it infrequently. Of course, on a PSP there will be times when you give that dpad a break by using the 3D nub.

Also, if you do get a PSP, consider getting one that's fully hackable.

Well, for the handhelds I was looking at, my options were the Wiz or the Gemei A330. I went with the Wiz in spite of the apparent rash of bad units because the OLED screen will undoubtedly be easier to see under bright light (like when playing outside) and will have no viewing angle problems.

I'll probably still use my GP32 FLU quite a bit, actually, but it's just a bit too big to stash in my pocket and go (and if I did try to stuff it in my pocket I'd probably break the joystick) - I have to carry it around in its Entware case.

Berserk said:

That would be my reason for getting one. I haven't had time to look but is it easy to find hackable ones? What would I spend on a hackable PSP including at least a 16GB card that can handle it, 32 gb even better?

darklight1138 said:
Berserk said:

That would be my reason for getting one. I haven't had time to look but is it easy to find hackable ones? What would I spend on a hackable PSP including at least a 16GB card that can handle it, 32 gb even better?
Here's a guide to start you off:

http://forums.pspslimhacks.com/user-help/121-psp-hackable-allow-me-answer.html

My recommendation is an early model PSP-2000.

If you have ebay, you'll want to ask sellers questions that'll help you identify which PSP they're selling. And then just be patient. New PSP-3000s are going for $129 at Amazon, but you can shave $10 to $20 off older models if you monitor auctions.

Expect to pay somewhere in the ballpark of $50 for 32gb of memory or over $100 if you go for an official card. SanDisk 16 GB microSDHC is a reputable card. Not the fastest, but good enough to recommend since it's reliable. You may find something better if you research. You buy 2x 16 micros and put them in an adapter like a Photofast CR-5400($5), which will give you 32gb.

As you can see, the main negative about going the PSP route is that it takes more time and effort to get started than with the GP2x line.

PSP to much hassle I think - I´ve had the first one out and a mate gave me one of them a few months ago - its in the draw lol
I have hacked it but all that firmware crap - stick to a proper open source handheld I say :D

ruffnutts said:
PSP to much hassle I think - I´ve had the first one out and a mate gave me one of them a few months ago - its in the draw lol
I have hacked it but all that firmware crap - stick to a proper open source handheld I say :D
It's a hassle alright, but I only went through the hassle after learning the ins and outs of every system. I knew what I wanted and I had my reasons. It's good that we have so many options so we can make a choice based on exactly what we want. I wanted something that would support systems beyond SNES with frameskip (PS1, PSP, N64). And since the PSP has a floating point unit and a large screen, it makes for a pretty good video player.

I almost bought a brand new Wiz for $98. I had it in my eBay cart, but then it dawned on me that this was probably from the infamous Thinkgeek batch, so I promptly removed it.

Back