Wiz-Atari : Atari 800/130/5200 Emulator For Wiz

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
wizatari-v110.jpg

Hi All,

Atari800 is an emulator for the 800, 800XL, 130XE and 5200 models of the Atari personal computer.
It can be used on console, FrameBuffer or X11.
See http://atari800.sourceforge.net/ for further informations.

Wiz-ATARI is a port of the PSP version to GP2X Wiz.

Many new features have been added such as cheat codes and save states with thumbnail images etc ...

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

Sources are included, and this package is under the GNU public license,
read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/

Enjoy,

Zx.

Thanks for this I was waiting to try it.

One thing though, I am unable to select a ROM or a system (800/5200 etc) The "Atari menu" (the blue one, not your menu that one is ok) is so fast that I can't select anything. If i press a button to try to select a game it key repeats so fast that it just backs out of the selection.

I hope this can be fixed because as of now I can't use the game selector etc. The time I was able to get it to work the emulator itself runs great. The 5200 analog setting is so fast though that the cursor just goes from one end of the screen to the other in a blink, maybe that could be slowed down a little hopefully? Maybe this is a timing thing with PSP vs. Wiz?

Thanks again :)

DaveC said:
Thanks for this I was waiting to try it.

One thing though, I am unable to select a ROM or a system (800/5200 etc) The "Atari menu" (the blue one, not your menu that one is ok) is so fast that I can't select anything. If i press a button to try to select a game it key repeats so fast that it just backs out of the selection.

I will fix it asap ...

DaveC said:
I hope this can be fixed because as of now I can't use the game selector etc. The time I was able to get it to work the emulator itself runs great. The 5200 analog setting is so fast though that the cursor just goes from one end of the screen to the other in a blink, maybe that could be slowed down a little hopefully? Maybe this is a timing thing with PSP vs. Wiz?

Thanks again :)

I've introduced a bug during psp to wiz porting. I've tested Atari 800 roms, thinking that it should be ok for 5200 too ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way that 5200 roms can be loaded from the front menu without having to go through the other menus (insert cartridge etc.)?
Also on the front menu and the other options menus can the game name be shown in full? by maybe moving the other options down and moving the game name over to the far left (on the joystick settings menu the game name overlaps one of the options!)
Apart from this and DaveC's comments another excellent job. :)

I've just checked your website any clue on what the next release (for the Wiz) will be?
(Still got the BBC Micro, Commodore Plus/4, HP48, Intellivision, Sam Coupe, Sinclair ZX81, Dragon/Tandy Coco, Thomson MO5, Thomson TO7 & Vectrex to go!) ;)

Neil L said:
Is there a way that 5200 roms can be loaded from the front menu without having to go through the other menus (insert cartridge etc.)?
Also on the front menu and the other options menus can the game name be shown in full? by maybe moving the other options down and moving the game name over to the far left (on the joystick settings menu the game name overlaps one of the options!)
Apart from this and DaveC's comments another excellent job. :)

I've just checked your website any clue on what the next release (for the Wiz) will be?
(Still got the BBC Micro, Commodore Plus/4, HP48, Intellivision, Sam Coupe, Sinclair ZX81, Dragon/Tandy Coco, Thomson MO5, Thomson TO7 & Vectrex to go!) ;)

A new version is available on my web site (v1.1.1)

@Neil: next ? i don't know for the moment. May be intellivision ...

Thanks for the update, the menu is much more useable now :)

The bad news is that when I "change system" to 5200 the screen immediately goes black and the Wiz must be restarted :( Atari 5200 is now broken. (I am using FW 1.0.0 because the newer FW makes some stuff like Temper run choppy, I don't know if it makes a difference) Hopefully this can be fixed, 5200 worked before.

Also how do you select the center position in the keypad overlay? A game says "press spacebar to continue" but the cursor will only select everything around the center (spacebar).

Thanks again.

On the subject of the virtual keyboard the 'Help' key seems to be missing, and '5200 Reset' is missing from the keymappings. (This line has been edited)
I can't think of anything else but I'll check later, I've got some photos here:

Atari 800: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Atari_800XL_Plain_White.jpg

Atari 5200: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/9/14871342_58cfa1ddb1.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/98215930%40N00/14871342&usg=__E_i_7a-LEDBIM8NsTeIij-BIuR8=&h=500&w=375&sz=38&hl=en&start=13&um=1&tbnid=hzi7Vux5vXBsdM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Datari%2B5200%2Bjoystick%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26um%3D1

Cheers, Neil

Off topic: The # keymapping is missing from the Colecovision emulator.

Update: I can't find any others missing from the virtual keyboard or the keymappings, apart from what I posted above.
(But there's only one joystick!)

Neil L said:
On the subject of the virtual keyboard the 'Help' key seems to be missing, and '5200 Reset' is missing aswell.
I can't think of anything else but I'll check later, I've got some phots here:

Atari 800: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Atari_800XL_Plain_White.jpg

Atari 5200: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/9/14871342_58cfa1ddb1.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/98215930%40N00/14871342&usg=__E_i_7a-LEDBIM8NsTeIij-BIuR8=&h=500&w=375&sz=38&hl=en&start=13&um=1&tbnid=hzi7Vux5vXBsdM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Datari%2B5200%2Bjoystick%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26um%3D1

Cheers, Neil

thanks for your feedback :)

zx-81 said:
thanks for your feedback :)

Hi ZX,

Is 5200 working for you in the last release? Does it crash to a black screen for you or is it something with my system?

Thanks again.

Hi,
It also crashes to a black screen for me when using the 'Select System' option on the blue Atari menu. (Did it work on the 1st version?)
I always use the 'Atari menu/Cartridge Management/Insert Cartridge' route to load 5200 cartridges.
(Press the L button to return to the emulator after you've 'inserted' your cartridge and it's gone back to the blue front menu)
It would be better if we had a 'Load 5200 Cartridge' option on the main (black) menu alongside the 'Load Rom' one.
Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
On the subject of the virtual keyboard the 'Help' key seems to be missing, and '5200 Reset' is missing from the keymappings. (This line has been edited)

yes it is missing in the virtual keyboard, but you can still map it to a gp2x key with the "keyboard" menu ...

Neil L said:

You may try to use the '$' symbol instead in the virtual keyboard instead of '#' (it's a little bug).

Neil L said:
Update: I can't find any others missing from the virtual keyboard or the keymappings, apart from what I posted above.
(But there's only one joystick!)

You can toggle between two joysticks in the joystick menu, or to map the "C_Joy" hotkey to a wiz key (or L/R combination)

Neil L said:
Hi,
It also crashes to a black screen for me when using the 'Select System' option on the blue Atari menu. (Did it work on the 1st version?)

Atari 5200 is not well supported, it's original emu stuff. I haven't done anything and let it as it ...

Neil L said:
I always use the 'Atari menu/Cartridge Management/Insert Cartridge' route to load 5200 cartridges.
(Press the L button to return to the emulator after you've 'inserted' your cartridge and it's gone back to the blue front menu)
It would be better if we had a 'Load 5200 Cartridge' option on the main (black) menu alongside the 'Load Rom' one.

Yes, you're right it would be better to support only 5200 cartridge and load it directly from "Load rom" menu. May be one day in a new version ;)

DaveC said:
Is 5200 working for you in the last release? Does it crash to a black screen for you or is it something with my system?

Yes, it's not really stable and it works only as Neil said (or as specified in the readme)

Thanks for the replies,

But there's only one joystick setting (JOY_UP, JOY_DOWN, JOY_LEFT, JOY_RIGHT, JOY_FIRE1 & JOY_FIRE2 instead of your usual J1 and J2 settings) and on the joystick menu there's no option for Player 1/2 (only Swap Analog/Cursor, Auto fire period & Auto fire mode)

On the Colecovision # issue, if you press * on the virtual keyboard or map a key to it, # is activated!
and if you press $ on the virtual keyboard * is activated!
Could this be altered? (and maybe # being added to the keymappings as only 0-9 & * are there)

Cheers, Neil

I've just noticed that Reset (Atari 800) is missing from the keymappings and the virtual keyboard.

zx-81 said:
Atari 5200 is not well supported, it's original emu stuff. I haven't done anything and let it as it ...

Yes, it's not really stable and it works only as Neil said (or as specified in the readme)

It did work on your last release (with the fast menu) as I used a couple of times when I was able to time the menu. So between this and last release it stopped working. Also 5200 worked the same way fine on the GP2x version I remember. Ok I got 5200 to work with the other method. It is not obvious but it does work.

One easy request though. The blue menu is kind of hard to read, it is light blue on bright blue. Could you make the background darker , even black? That should be an easy change of a number shouldn't it?

Thanks again for everything.

Neil L said:
Thanks for the replies,

But there's only one joystick setting (JOY_UP, JOY_DOWN, JOY_LEFT, JOY_RIGHT, JOY_FIRE1 & JOY_FIRE2 instead of your usual J1 and J2 settings) and on the joystick menu there's no option for Player 1/2 (only Swap Analog/Cursor, Auto fire period & Auto fire mode)

Cheers, Neil

I've just noticed that Reset (Atari 800) is missing from the keymappings and the virtual keyboard.

Do you know how to get the 5200 second triggers to work? it only seems to recognise a fire button but nothing else. I tried "Dreadnough factor" and it seems to only fire, I think there are bombs too but no button on the wiz activates them. Also the virtual keyboard seems confusing to me. I end up pressing a bunch of things until something happens. I wonder if this emu could support different keyboard graphics for 5200 to make more logical and correspond to what a real 5200 was.

Yes the JOY_FIRE2 doesn't seem to be working, the easiest thing to do with the other Atari 5200 buttons 5200_Start, 5200_Pause & 5200_Reset is to map them to keys with the keyboard menu. (5200_Reset is missing though)
I have noticed that the virtual keyboards on ZX81's emulators have options that weren't on the original computers/consoles.
(But this one is also used for the Atari 800 hence most of the extra ones)
Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
Yes the JOY_FIRE2 doesn't seem to be working, the easiest thing to do with the other Atari 5200 buttons 5200_Start, 5200_Pause & 5200_Reset is to map them to keys with the keyboard menu. (5200_Reset is missing though)
I have noticed that the virtual keyboards on ZX81's emulators have options that weren't on the original computers/consoles.
(But this one is also used for the Atari 800 hence most of the extra ones)
Cheers, Neil
I have noticed there is a bug with the sound as well with this emulator. (just try 5200 Galaxian for an example) The sound gets all loud and crackly and very distorted in allot of games. It just starts buzzing and popping at certain times. Do you get this too? The one on the GP2X didn't do this, must be a Wiz bug.

I came to this topic because I also couldn't get JOY_FIRE2 to work on 5200 Defender.  I guess since this hasn't been updated since 2009 it is a lost cause?

Back