Wine On Gp2x

rizriz

Still Fresh
Would it be possible to use wine on gp2x? If it is possible then that would mean anything on windows could be played on gp2x. (solitaire, 3d pinball, halflife) This is my assumption. I could be wrong if i misunderstood what wine is used for, but will it work?

if so these could be ran on the gp2x......(remember i'm assuming) :blink:

About Wine

Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop.

The Wine project started in 1993 as a way to support running Windows 3.1 programs on Linux. Bob Amstadt was the original coordinator, but turned it over fairly early on to Alexandre Julliard, who has run it ever since. Over the years, ports for other Unixes have been added, along with support for Win32 as Win32 applications became popular.

Not gonna happen. Wine stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. I don't know the specific details but it cannot be ported.

Doesn't hurt to try. :) Wine translates system calls from a Windows program to their linux conterparts, thats why Wine Is Not an Emulator if you have all the corrisponding libraries working on the gp2x then wine "should" be able to run the program.

Does anyone out there know if the arm cpu is anywhere close to compatable with a i386 type processor ?

aQwaBlaz3 posted on Oct 26 2005 at 06:59 PM said:
We need like a FAQ on Linux...really.

seriously..hah..i am barely learning the bits and pieces of linux....i would repartition my computer to linux...but i'm too lazy to even read the guide on how to do that..heh

Aimless_E posted on Oct 26 2005 at 07:02 PM said:
Doesn't hurt to try. :) Wine translates system calls from a Windows program to their linux conterparts, thats why Wine Is Not an Emulator if you have all the corrisponding libraries working on the gp2x then wine "should" be able to run the program.

Does anyone out there know if the arm cpu is anywhere close to compatable with a i386 type processor ?

yah thats how i see it...just reading all this stuff about wine is interesting

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure half-life would run real fast too.... <_<

Fscking argh this won't ever work, period. End of story. Finito. Done. Don't try, you'll get nowhere.

wine just implements the windows system libraries, so it only works on x86 by default. There is an effort to combine it with qemu binary translation to get it working on the PPC architecture. I would be surprised to see a working solitaire on the GP2X let alone half life.

iignotus posted on Oct 26 2005 at 10:25 PM said:

Fscking argh this won't ever work, period. End of story. Finito. Done. Don't try, you'll get nowhere.

^ and no explanation why, for the not-so-technically minded folks looking for info?

Very helpful and friendly ...

</sarcasm>

TelcoLou posted on Oct 26 2005 at 10:55 PM said:
iignotus posted on Oct 26 2005 at 10:25 PM said:

^ and no explanation why, for the not-so-technically minded folks looking for info?

Very helpful and friendly ...

</sarcasm>
Sorry? :(

Aimless_E posted on Oct 26 2005 at 10:02 PM said:

No, the i386 processor is completely different from ARM. It would take outright emulation of the CPU and likely many other system components. That is an extremely difficult thing to do, just look at projects like dosbox ( dosbox.sourceforge.net ) or bochs ( bochs.sourceforge.net ). You'll likely find that even on a fairly modern PC, most mid 90's DOS games are unplayably slow. I have doubts that the GP2x could emulate a 386/33 - and that's a long way from Half-Life's required 120mhz Pentium.

Sadly, unless Valve releases the source code to Half-Life, you won't see that emulated on the GP2x. And even if valve did release the source, I doubt it would be playable. Sure, it's based on Quake1, but they added a LOT (colored lighting in software, skeletal animation, a much more robust particle system, a nifty beam emitter) and have environments, enemies, and scripted events an order of magnitude more complex than Quake1.

Sorry to rain on your parade :(

-OCA|

wine doesnt emulate the x86 cpu, so it works only on linux_x86. It just kind of emulates the windows system (api, drivers). SInce the gp2x has no x86 cpu (it uses a arm 920 and 940) we cant use wine, cause we have to emulate the cpu too.

OCA| posted on Oct 26 2005 at 11:44 PM said:
Aimless_E posted on Oct 26 2005 at 10:02 PM said:

No, the i386 processor is completely different from ARM. It would take outright emulation of the CPU and likely many other system components. That is an extremely difficult thing to do, just look at projects like dosbox ( dosbox.sourceforge.net ) or bochs ( bochs.sourceforge.net ). You'll likely find that even on a fairly modern PC, most mid 90's DOS games are unplayably slow. I have doubts that the GP2x could emulate a 386/33 - and that's a long way from Half-Life's required 120mhz Pentium.

Sadly, unless Valve releases the source code to Half-Life, you won't see that emulated on the GP2x. And even if valve did release the source, I doubt it would be playable. Sure, it's based on Quake1, but they added a LOT (colored lighting in software, skeletal animation, a much more robust particle system, a nifty beam emitter) and have environments, enemies, and scripted events an order of magnitude more complex than Quake1.

Sorry to rain on your parade :(

-OCA|

No rain here man, thats exactly what I was wondering :)

Back