Windows Shortcuts

greyghost

Still Fresh
I have always wanted a quick way to start my programs on windows. I prefer using the keyboard
than the mouse. So, I use the windows run box (windows key + r) as much as possible.

The problem is that windows installs programs differently to unix systems, so the executables are
strewn all over the filesystem. Starting a program therefore involved either adding the programs
directory to the path variable, or writing some batch file/script to start it, or assigning a shortcut to
it on the windows start menu. I didn't like any of those solutions, since it gets difficult to manage your
shortcuts and it is tedious to write a batch file for every new program installed.

So, I created a new directory (like c:\shortcuts). I then added only that one directory to the system's
PATH environment variable. Now, any program I want to have quick access to, I create a shortcut (.lnk)
to the executable and dump the shortcut in my shortcuts directory, giving it a nice short name.
However, to start the program, I now need to type [program name.lnk] which is pretty annoying. To
get rid of that problem, add ;.LNK to the PATHEXT environment variable.

Now I have quick, easy and very fast access to all the programs from the windows run box. Not sure if this would
be of assistance to anyone else.

Nice, I didn't think about using PATHEXT before and had the problems you described. Due to that I've used the mouse, but using the "quicklaunch" bar in the taskbar, resized it to the smallest possible value and then just click the "^" icon which shows up as a result to get a list of all my commonly used apps. It does mean using the mouse, but a lot of apps just don't seem to care about using the keyboard and assume mouse usage :(

Thanks for the compliment, means alot.

Squidge said:
It does mean using the mouse, but a lot of apps just don't seem to care about using the keyboard and assume mouse usage :(
Yes, that's true. The mouse does have it's place, but I really dislike navigating menus. I used your solution for sometime but it never grew on me. I would always forget where stuff was and end up bumbling all over the place. Somehow I remember the commands though, wierd...

Some cool things are possible too, for example, you can have shortcuts to stuff like
'System Properties': CODE
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL SYSDM.CPL,System
or you could just use winkey + pause for that one.

'Display Settings': CODE
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\desk.cpl",Display

Just open a program like process explorer to see the command line of those rundll things. I find it's just so convenient.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always used batch files for things like that, but lnk files should be more efficient and less messy (no black dos box opening up to run the command) :)

Other things I've used:

compmgmt.msc
devmgmt.msc
eventvwr.msc
perfmon.msc
services.msc

I think you can guess what they are from the filenames.

Squidge said:
I've always used batch files for things like that, but lnk files should be more efficient and less messy (no black dos box opening up to run the command) :)
Yes, that black box drives me up a wall. :lol: Thanks for the suggestions, I never used some of them before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aahhh! I come from a time before mouses too :p
Grabbing for the mouse is usually a last resort and I usually organize the start menu so that each item has a different letter to select it.

i.e.
<windows>, <P>rogram, <U>tils, <N>ero, <return> starts Nero (first item)
<windows>, <P>rogram, <G>raphics, <P>aintshop, <return> starts Paintshop (first item)
<windows>, <C>ontrol Panel, <D>ate, <D>isplay, <return> starts display properties (second item starting with 'd')

Anytime something installs with the same first letter and messes with my menus I got to go and rename it.
One thing I've not tried is using & in the name to force which key selects it.

And most installs don't give the option of where in the start menu they install themselves so they need moving :|

Things I don't use often (like Control Panel items) I don't memorize and have to search for anyway.

And of course - this doesn't work with the vista start menu <_<
But Word2007 accepts the keystrokes without showing the actual menus ??? :huh:

Back