Windows Embedded Comapct 7

Poem58

I'm assuming this would be something that is likely compatible with the Pandora's hardware with some work.

I know it would have to be illegally hacked etc. etc. And it's not likely anyway. I just wanted to bring this to your attention as there WILL be newbies that think this is the ticket to Windows 7 on the Pandora. So, now that I've thrown it out there, the discussion can begin and this could be a good thread to point someone to as to why they should not want or even consider this. While personally I'd love to be able to try it especially for flash etc :p

"Microsoft certainly made a bit of splash at Computex with the introduction of Windows Embedded Compact 7, but it's not necessarily the easiest thing to wrap your head around right off the bat (or say three times fast). Thankfully, Microsoft has now come through with a site that explains the new OS in detail (complete with videos), and a trial download that will let you get a sneak peek at it yourself. The short of it is that the OS is aimed at devices that don't need or aren't well suited to the full-fledged Windows 7 (or Windows Phone 7, for that matter) -- like the Eee Pad pictured above -- which, incidentally, seems to address one of the major concerns from folks like NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang. That added simplicity also means that the OS won't run regular Windows applications -- it is a successor to Windows CE, after all -- but Microsoft does at least promise a "streamlined developer experience." That's not to say the OS isn't capable in its own right, though -- it boasts a full-range of media playback capabilities (including MPEG-4 and HD video), built-in support for Silverlight for Windows Embedded and Flash 10.1, a customized version of Internet Explorer with full multitouch, support for Open GL ES 2.0, support for the latest ARM v7 architectures and, of course, "seamless" integration with Windows 7, to name just a few highlights. Still hungry for more details? Then hit up the source link for the complete rundown and Microsoft's videos, and for all the information you need to download the preview release. "

-source Engadget
http://www.engadget....ial-download-n/

XPANSiVE said:
But is it open source??

That's funny. It's Microsoft! They will be trying to make some serious cash off this little OS. I just thought it was interesting due to the fact that it sounds like it was designed for a device just like our Pandora. I remember OP saying Microsoft had contacted them at one point. Maybe they were trying to convince them they needed to wait and buy this OS?

Edit: I remember talk a long time ago about Windows 7 for Arm. I guess this is it. Granted no compatibility with desktop Windows, but the rumor has come true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poem58 said:
XPANSiVE said:
But is it open source??

That's funny. It's Microsoft! They will be trying to make some serious cash off this little OS. I just thought it was interesting due to the fact that it sounds like it was designed for a device just like our Pandora. I remember OP saying Microsoft had contacted them at one point. Maybe they were trying to convince them they needed to wait and buy this OS?

Edit: I remember talk a long time ago about Windows 7 for Arm. I guess this is it. Granted no compatibility with desktop Windows, but the rumor has come true.
If someone would write drivers for the Pandora, you could run something like this easily. I don't think anyone will do the work, though, unless there's a compelling reason, some application(s) that are exclusive to this OS - I think Windows CE is quite a bit more likely, and there aren't even that many useful CE applications that don't have Linux equivalents. Not that it wouldn't be interesting just to be able to say that the Pandora can run Windows 7. :p

Yah, I kinda wrote that as a joke, but now that i think about it, it should "just work."

It is interesting, though, I'll definitely be trying it out.

Back