Will Pandora Support .rm (realmedia) Files?

the-damango

Still Fresh
I've the whole south park collection saved as .rm files, i hope i won't have to convert them to some other format!!

Off topic slightly, but any update on how well super fx / mode 7 games will run on :pandora1:

Starfox.....on the go.........(dribble.........) :rolleyes:

I didn't think Realmedia was an open format? In which case, no.

However, if there is an open source project that will play Realmedia files, then it's possible.

hells_dark said:
I don't know but i never had a video i could not read with mplayer on my ubuntu (i can play rm).
That's most likely due to the a feature in mplayer allowing the use of windows-based libraries for some codecs (RM, WMV and others). This is only possible on an x86 based machine, so it's out of the question for the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swiss_Cheeseman said:
hells_dark said:
I don't know but i never had a video i could not read with mplayer on my ubuntu (i can play rm).
That's most likely due to the a feature in mplayer allowing the use of windows-based libraries for some codecs (RM, WMV and others). This is only possible on an x86 based machine, so it's out of the question for the Pandora.

I didn't know.
By the way, if we have vlc, it will be ok..

joa said:
i certainly hope not, worst format ever.
Real ...buffering... Media? The ...buffering... worst? What makes ...buffering... you say ...buffering... that? :lol:

I haven't touched .rm in years, (1999?) but the last time I made the mistake of installing the RealMedia program, I became totally convinced it was a virus. Not that it had a virus in the executable, but that it simply was a virus with media playback functionality added. It altered my system in unexpected ways, installed bundled software and the associated instability, and decided that it was going to be the default player for everything, regardless of my intentions otherwise. :rolleyes:

Of course, this question is about the .rm format, not the application, but given my experiences with the app itself, I'd prefer to keep .rm as far away from my Pandora as possible.

libavcodec seems to have partial support for RealVideo RV10 and RV20.

libavcodec is used by ffmpeg based media players, including MPlayer.

I don't know if RealVideo is the codec for .rm files, but it seems.

Anyway, the greater the number of codecs supported, the better. Less file conversions (and so, less quality loss) to be done.

djmaddis said:
yaustar said:
VLC doesn't support Real formats.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

Vlc will play .rm files as long as you download the real alternative codec

The Real Alternative codec is only available for Windows. It is suspected of being just an unauthorized re-packaging of some version of the official codec. I'm not sure if this has been proven, however.

VRAndy said:
The Real Alternative codec is only available for Windows. It is suspected of being just an unauthorized re-packaging of some version of the official codec. I'm not sure if this has been proven, however.
Suspected? Of course it is! A simple comparison between the files in Real Alternative and what comes with Real Player make it pretty obvious.

Good God. Due you really want to infect your machine with this garbage?

Thankfully, porting it seems unlikely, but don't worry. You can always watch Southpark at southparkstudios.com if you can get online.

Ugh, realmedia, thank god that beast has (more or less) died.

Back