Will It Be Networkable?

Miner49er

Website
www.lessermatters.co.uk
So, yeah, my linux guru friend reckons it would be as cool as fook if he could plug it into his network and like, log into it and stuff!

so will it be able to do that?

no, as far as i know there is no network plug planned... however it maybe could work via sdio.

But no built-in network.

sdio looks like the best bet from what GPH has said so far - I would have really liked to have seen a USB host port on the device since given it's running a linux kernel this would have made using a wifi usb adapter trivial. I've read somewhere that GPH is thinking of releasing another version of the GPX2 with USB host but that's just a rumour.

Mmkay, that's a shame it would be nice to have a real-life GP buddy to share the fun of the new console when it arrives (and if it's any good, i.e. what will determine whether or not I get one)

if its like on the gp32, the chip fully supports host mode and you can switch it to that, what you just need is 5v for the power.
i made a small box with 4xrechargeables and 2 female usb connector for the gp32 and used it for gp32linux, worked great! the wifi pack is awesome.

anyway, i hope this is possible with the new gp32 too, but for that we need a whole new system kernel i think.

Man if this thing can some how be connected to a wifi access point and runs linux that would be amazing. Just imagine a small device that could be used to connect to a mythtv backend to watch live cable tv. My laptop works well for this right now. I can get live cable tv to stream to it wirelessly but if I had something pocket size that would rock.

If it does support WiFi through SDIO, I might actually consider getting a WiFi card; I could use it both with my Zodiac and the GP2X (if I get one...).
Other SDIO accessories should be possible to use as well, like a camera or something...

seems like most sdio devices have pretty bad driver support, vould be a problem, my hope goes for usb host

Back