Wifi Woes? Does Usb Wifi Work?

Because it has been said that the WiFi driver may not be 100% functional when the Pandora ships. ;)

When we talk about the "drivers" we actually talk about the GUI to setup the network settings from what I understand.

But yeh USB-Wifi doesn't really make any sense to me neither.

The only reason I can see is because you want to get into secured networks or because you want a greater wifi range if the Pandoras signal is not strong enough.

to answer your question in generic terms...

If it isn't compiled into the kernel (which is probable) and isn't compiled as a module (unknown, but also unlikely) then you will have to recompile the kernel and add support. This shouldn't be a big deal since the kernel repository is available and you can use the same .config as the official kernel as a start point. Just go thru 'make menuconfig' add the hardware you want and 'make install'. (Might need to do a couple more steps, but you get the jist)

Good luck.

If it isn't compiled into the kernel (which is probable) and isn't compiled as a module (unknown, but also unlikely) then you will have to recompile the kernel and add support. This shouldn't be a big deal since the kernel repository is available and you can use the same .config as the official kernel as a start point. Just go thru 'make menuconfig' add the hardware you want and 'make install'. (Might need to do a couple more steps, but you get the jist)

Good luck.

...or he just compiles the driver as a module WITHOUT recompiling the kernel (→ an untracked module) and saves himself a lot of headaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good luck.

...or he just compiles the driver as a module WITHOUT recompiling the kernel (→ an untracked module"] and saves himself a lot of headaches.[/quote]I didn't assume that there was no module checking (sorry for the double-negative). It may exist, it may not, either way my way still works. But you are right it saves some time and possible problems.

When we talk about the "drivers" we actually talk about the GUI to setup the network settings from what I understand.
I'm not sure about that. I thought that a GUI setup was just ONE of the things missing. The other was a fully functional linux kernel driver for the hardware.
If it was just a GUI someone could whip that together fast if they had to, but kernel drivers require either support from the manufacturer or tedious backwards engineering.

See This post by EvilDragon.

I'm not sure about that. I thought that a GUI setup was just ONE of the things missing. The other was a fully functional linux kernel driver for the hardware.
If it was just a GUI someone could whip that together fast if they had to, but kernel drivers require either support from the manufacturer or tedious backwards engineering.

See This post by EvilDragon.
I don't see how GUI should even be a consideration. (I'm agreeing with you). Regardless of which Linux OS you are using, worse case is that you map whichever wlan device you want to use to default wlan device. This can be done on the fly or in udev(/mdev) rules. And this is also on the assumption that the official GUI software doesn't allow more then one wifi device, which is not usually the case. I don't remember the rules coding off the top of my head, but it isn't complicated and I would be happy to post if anyone is really concerned with this.

Actually, re-reading, I think I see how this confusion started.

1) The wifi works when Pandora boots to a "test image". That is, the Pandora boots up, tests the wifi hardware AND THAT'S IT. Sometimes this has been described as "There's not even a GUI!"

2) If you boot a pandora normally, the wifi doesn't work.

It's easy to see how that somehow got mangled to "There's no GUI for the Wifi!".

Why would you want USB Wi-fi if the Pandora already has built-in Wi-fi?
1. My USB Wi-Fi adapters can use external antennas.
2. The Pandora apparently doesn't have working Wi-Fi drivers yet.
3. I want to use the Pandora online whenever it arrives.

I have several hand held systems that can play games and movies but none of them can go online properly. The DS just doesn't cut it.
The Pandora's wireless connectivity is something I am looking forward to having.
Getting the unit without being able to go online in any fashion would be slightly disappointing to me.

Rather than complain about the built in Wi-Fi driver issue I seek an alternate solution.

Good luck.

...or he just compiles the driver as a module WITHOUT recompiling the kernel (→ an untracked module"] and saves himself a lot of headaches.[/quote]Cool! I hope this works. Thanks guys.

Hopefully the Pandora Wifi will be good enough so that most user won't even think about using a wifi over USB.

Still it can be quite cool to have a USB dongle working. You can do some directional DIY antenna with them for example. (and the Pandora has a fully powered usb port !) For example: http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

The only reason I can see is because you want to get into secured networks or because you want a greater wifi range if the Pandoras signal is not strong enough.
Good point about the range. It's too bad we don't have a jack to add an option external antenna.

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKKMj37Psd8 EvilDragon says internet works fine with "USB-net"

I think it would be a big mistake to release the Pandora without decent wifi out of the box.

If I can't switch the thing on as soon as I recieve, connect to my home access point, type www.google.com into the browser and see the Google logo I will be very dissapointed.

That said, If I have to fiddle around getting stuff to work I kind of don't mind either as I do enjoy a good hard tinker!

I think it would be a big mistake to release the Pandora without decent wifi out of the box.

If I can't switch the thing on as soon as I recieve, connect to my home access point, type www.google.com into the browser and see the Google logo I will be very dissapointed.

That said, If I have to fiddle around getting stuff to work I kind of don't mind either as I do enjoy a good hard tinker!
Even if it doesn't work great with the initial Angstrom image you can still get on the internet via USB. I'm sure if this is the case one of the first updates will be improving the wifi.

The Pandora would be essentially useless to me without working wi-fi, so I really really hope that will be sorted out quickly (and better before delivery). If my Nokia tablet was without wi-fi I could as well leave it in a drawer. If I'm near a wired network then I'm also near a desktop computer and I don't use the mobile device.

You don't think it started when Craig said:

Bah! Just when I thought I had it figured out, now I'm confused again.

Back