Wifi Sd Card Announced

pkostrze

Website
vampireslug.deviantart.com
Eye-Fi has announced that later this year there will be a WiFi SD card released with a storage capacity of 2Gb and a WiFi connection that turns itself off when not in use to save battery life. The unit is expected to be $100.00 USD.

If this isn't exactly the sort of thing that the GP2X needs then I don't know what is.

Anyway, here's the link... try and refrain from drooling :)

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/...rd-coming-soon/

As far as I understand, this card is not exactly a WiFi card. It is both a memory card and a Wifi file server, giving access to distant machines to the files that the memory contains.

It does not mean that it will be impossible to use it as a WiFi card, but it will most certainly require some serious hacking. And even if it were a WiFi card, the probability to get Linux driver for it would not be that high (considering that it is a very specific product, and that the community interested in it - basically GP2X users - is not very large). So I am not too optimistic about it.

Of course you will still be able to use it for what it is sold: to put files in your GP2X without connecting a cable or removing your card. But it is not very exciting.

Zider said:
There has been SDIO wifi cards out for quite a while already..
I did not know that. After a quick googling, it seems that some are actually supported by Linux PDAs. Interesting...

So the innovation of this Memory/WiFi card seems to be this integrated file server. Not really interesting for GP2X users.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back