Wifi Can't Reconnect

cosam

Website
www.cosam.org
Strange problem with Wifi here. I can connect fine and, while the connection lasts, everything's dandy. However, if the connection is lost, I can never reconnect. I just keep getting the authentication dialog, as if it assumes this is the problem. If I reboot, it works again. Nothing at all in dmesg to go on - maybe elsewhere?

Hi SteveM did you do the update fix yet ? and have you set a default pass for the keyring ,sorry didn't notice you had other problems already with pnd's so you would have done the fix ,my suggestion would be to remove the keyring pass or config it to auto connect with same pass always ,this worked for me but mabe your settings are different.

Also if you reflash your unit i would opt out of the keyring feature.

Yes, I've done the update.

I removed the keyring password (well, deleted the keyring and made a new one with no password) and was able to reconnect. Not sure if that was a coincidence - I'll keep an eye on it. It would be nice if password-protected keyrings worked though. Not everyone wants to leave this stuff wide open.

That's a network manager bug, happens even on desktop machines :(
You could try toggling WiFi and try to reconnect (haven't tried if that works).
We need to look into it for the next firmware release.

Don't worry m8 I'm having wifi troubles to, I can get the first page but none after that unless I reboot. You're not with Sky are you by any chance?

EvilDragon said:

Is wicd available? Might be worth the effort to port it, lighter weight etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
My BeagleBoard will lose it's connection every few days and fail to reconnect. I wrote a script for it that looks something like this:
Code:
ping 192.168.1.254 -c 4
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
/sbin/ifconfig ra0 down
/sbin/ifconfig ra0 up 192.168.1.89
/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.1.254
else
echo "No problems with the network"
fi
192.168.1.254 being my routers IP address.
Basically, it tries to ping my router 4 times. If all 4 fail, it calls ifconfig down and then ifconfig up, and then all is well again. Attached to a cron that runs every 10 minutes, and I experience at most a 10 minute downtime. I'm sure someone more clever than I could come up with something that intercepts the disconnect as soon as it happens and does the same up/down, rather than having to check for it with a ping.

htl2001 said:
EvilDragon said:

Is wicd available? Might be worth the effort to port it, lighter weight etc...

I also love wicd, but DJWillis wanted to use Network Manager as it was easier to use (in Angstroem Repos) and I don't think Wicd supports 3G.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
I never ever had such a problem in Windows and I only use WiFi to connect to my router. :huh:
I would like to see this Problem solved, some special Download programms need to disconnect and reconnect the router from the Web, so I hope the WiFi keeps alive during this.
Yes, I hope that I can do more general downloads with my Pandora in the Future, would save a huge ammount of Energy when I can use the Pandora for this instead of my PC :)

Eewww, Don`t like wicd, Has caused so many problems, After installing it on quite a few PC`s
because of so many recommendation and to see what all the fuss was about. Network Manager
just works, Simple.

Network Manager For The Win. :)

Trooper

Have to say I love Network Manager, they've just introduced 3G signal strength recently, and in the latest kernel I don't have to use usb_modeswitch to get it to work either.

fusion_power said:
EvilDragon said:
I never ever had such a problem in Windows and I only use WiFi to connect to my router. :huh:

Yeah, well, I guess you don't use the Linux Network Manager in Windows, eh? ;)

Last edited:
Dead1nside said:
Have to say I love Network Manager, they've just introduced 3G signal strength recently, and in the latest kernel I don't have to use usb_modeswitch to get it to work either.

Maybe that one also fixes the reconnect-problem.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Dead1nside said:

Maybe that one also fixes the reconnect-problem.

I don't encounter it on my laptop as much anymore. It used to hit me a lot in the 0.7 releases. But with 0.8.1 even though it's alpha/beta it's very stable. Perhaps give it a try. I posted a workaround for the reconnection issue in the bug tracker.

paddy said:
Hi SteveM did you do the update fix yet ? and have you set a default pass for the keyring ,sorry didn't notice you had other problems already with pnd's so you would have done the fix ,my suggestion would be to remove the keyring pass or config it to auto connect with same pass always ,this worked for me but mabe your settings are different.

How do you remove the keyring password mate I can't find were to change it :)

trooper said:
Eewww, Don`t like wicd, Has caused so many problems, After installing it on quite a few PC`s
because of so many recommendation and to see what all the fuss was about. Network Manager
just works, Simple.

Network Manager For The Win. :)

Trooper

WiCD works great on my EEEpc, and has for a few months now. networkmanager doesn't even start on my configuration.
But I think networkmanager is a better choice for the pandora, 3G support is a must.

mvickers03 said:
paddy said:

How do you remove the keyring password mate I can't find were to change it :)

You need to go into Terminal and type the following
Code:
rm ~/.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring
Then I rebooted my machine and when it starts up and asks for the default keyring leave it blank and just click create, I think it asks then if you want to leave it unsecure to which I picked yes so now when it boots up it doesn't ask you for the password anymore. Hope this helps :)

Hey Guys

Just trying wifi atm it connects to my wifi but cannot browse any ideas?

My internet is working fine. tried the firefox one ED uploaded also no go.

^ Try this:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53630-solved-help-with-wifi/

Back