Widescreens On Handhelds

Are PSP style widescreens

• The future (We need to get with the times) + CPS2, Amiga, Movies, Apps need it etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, 320*240 forever - better for the old systems, MD, SNES, Atari etc.

• Widescreen if it's a laptop, 320*240 if it's a games system

• Total voters

This is exactly the same arguement that I have with my friends over the size of computer monitors.

I'd much rather have a 17" screen with a nice thin border around it, than have a 19" screen with a thick border.
Bigger the border, the smaller the picture looks IMO.

If there was a better bilinear-type scalar (looks like most scaling is nearest neighbor, hence the block-tastic look of stretched games), I'd say to keep the screen the same as it is. 640x480 wouldn't look much better at same size, and going much bigger defeats the purpose of portable gaming. Save the dough and put better hardware on the inside. Going much bigger, there's a temptation to say, "Just get a small laptop!"

Plus, for $100-200, you can get a lovely little 8" dvd portable that plays divx as well. So burn your stuff to dvd.

If there was a better bilinear-type scalar (looks like most scaling is nearest neighbor, hence the block-tastic look of stretched games)..

Plus, for $100-200, you can get a lovely little 8" dvd portable that plays divx as well. So burn your stuff to dvd.

Bi-linear scaling doesn't fix scaling artifacts though, it just adds another artifact (blurr) to attempt to hide the blockyness artifact. In that case you are just trading blocky for blurry. Both look worse than native res in their own way.

Yeah, the fact that you CAN get a DVD portable with a big 8" screen kind of makes the whole movie advantage of small widescreens on *gaming* handhelds moot. Ruining emu/port games on a gaming handheld for movies when movies are better on the tons of other cheap and widely available movie players with decent sized screens doesn't make any sense. That is why I say stay with 4:3 on gaming handhelds. I noticed that many new model pocket PCs even today still use 320x240 resolution. I guess they found that that res is fine on a small device.

640x480 would enable things like PC games that use that res and the Amiga Workbench uses (NTSC) 640 x 200 or 640 x 400 so those would display perfect at 640x480. You could also do Mac II emulation perfect as that used 640 x 480. 320 x 240 games could be an even 2:1 double, because the screen size is about the same it wouldn't look any blockier than now on the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it would be crappy 2:1 ratio all stretched and a blurry mess, Not 1:1 320x240. :rolleyes:

Trooper
No no, you could have surgery to tone down the crazy resolution nature gave you! They do miracles with lasers these days!

- Alex

All of this argument over resolution could be solved if we could see the image on the inside of our eyelids!Duh! :D

Not as crazy as it sounds. How about a really good controller with an SD slot or two in it. and a breakout A/V-out link. Connect to TV, or better yet, something like this
http://www.mirageinnovations.com/

How about a handheld that uses a 3D screen that doesn't need glasses? They have them now for PCs.

http://www.sharpsystems.com/news/press_rel...se.asp?press=59

How awesome would that be? even Sony or Nintendo don't have that yet.

And it would be crappy 2:1 ratio all stretched and a blurry mess, Not 1:1 320x240. :rolleyes:

Trooper
No no, you could have surgery to tone down the crazy resolution nature gave you! They do miracles with lasers these days!

- Alex

T`was Sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Trooper
Mine wasn't :rolleyes:

- Alex

I was having a DaveC moment.

Trooper

Back