Why Won't Gpwar Fit Onto My Smc?

triksR4rabits

The Dutchmaster
I'v posted this question on other peoples threads and recieved no response, and though I normally wouldnt create my own thread to answer this question, im afraid my curiosity has gotten the better of me. I downloaded the new version and try to put in on my smc (which has about 20 megs of free space) using gpdrive. The result is after about four minutes (out of an estimated five) of file transfering it says my smc dousnt have enough space. WTF!? Has anyone had a similar problem or know of a solution? I just dont get it... its supposed to be 5.29 megs right?

I can't say that this is your problem, but there's a difference between adding up the file's sizes and the actual space they take on the disc. It has to do with how FAT uses clusters to store files.

This "problem" is particularily noticeable when you have many small files.

If you use Windows, try this little test. Select all the files (or the folder) and right-click and hit Properties. It will show you an size and a "size on disk."

If you want more info, I suggest you google for cluster and file size or something like that.

Also, scan the drive for errors.

Here's a long shot...

Are you using a mac? If so, and you've used gpdrive or a card reader, then you may have some .DS_Store or .Trashes files on there which may not show up normally. I get this problem with USB keys too.

I noticed a huge increase in size, almost double, when transferring the latest version of gpwar to my smc from my harddrive.

is there anyway to counter this, its very annoying to do some rough tallying in my head for a day or two's worth of games, only to find that one takes up vastly its alloted amount!

Flavor- you hit the nail on the head. I suspected it was something of that nature but wasn't sure- thanks for your help guys

Back