Why Revolution Went Wii

NoidZ

Mind the world, need for panic
Website
Visit site
Revolution Too Threatening

Miyamoto reveals why Nintendo went Wii.
by Daemon Hatfield
May 24, 2006 - When Nintendo announced the official name of its new console would be Wii, gamers the world over experienced a mix of disbelief, nausea, and uncontrollable laughter. The title was easily made into a toilet joke, and seemed to bring out the juvenile in all of us. In a recent interview with CNNMoney.com, Nintendo's own Yoda, Shigeru Miyamoto, explained the codename Revolution was thought to be too threatening for non-gamers.

Miyamoto admits he really liked the name Revolution, and at first wasn't sure about the new title. "When we first thought about it, myself and others felt that the name Revolution was very appropriate to what we were doing," he said. "But [Revolution] is a name that was almost threatening to non-gamers. It wasn't acceptable. So we thought this was more friendly and inviting."

Nintendo has been very vocal about its intentions to lure people who don't traditionally play games into trying the Wii.

The designer also revealed that while gamers were getting excited about the Revolution, Nintendo had decided to change the name to Wii more than six months before they made the official announcement.

Of course, most of us are getting used to the new name, and all possible jokes had been told 24 hours after the announcement. Many people have commented that it doesn't sound like the name of a video game system, and that's exactly what Nintendo is going for.

NufF Said :)

That could be another point... It can be made to sound childish... you make fun of the name, so it may be another little statement that Nintendo is not afraid to have fun... I dunno I'll shut up now.

Offensive to non gamers? But if they are going to play on this console then they arent gonna be non gamers anymore.

I`m confused :huh:

Um ... If you really are confused then I'll speel it out.

The name, Revolution, is sort of Gyyyarrrrgh I'm a Games Console!!! \/\/00+!!!11eleventyone
So you know that you might want to buy one if you are a gamer, since you recognise it as a gaming device from the funky name (sort of).

Wii, is some weird made up name from the word WE. You don't have to be a gamer to appreciate it, everyone was put in the same place when Nintendo announced the name: "huh? What's that then?"

So current non gamers will hopefully be more likely to get a Wii and THEN turn into gamers.

clear?

I disliked the name Wii too, but who gives a f*ck? As a matter of fact the name Wii is revolutionary...

...in a stupid way ;)

nickspoon posted on May 28 2006 at 09:02 PM said:
I'm liking the name Wii more and more each day.

same here
but they could have found a different simple name.
ds is good, so is psp
short and can start many debates
they should have called it something different, three letter short name
*pettition time*
ps im still pissed of at you nintendo for not making the first ds as good as the lite, making me spend so much money

Last edited by a moderator:
It just took some time for the masses to get used too the name I think.

BTW this is my no. 300 B)

EDIT: Yeah! I got 5 thingies now :lol:

i'm used to it now, but i'll never like it. I agree with Daclassicgamingmaster, there are probably thousands of other names that could've been used, why Wii? Why not Fluff? I think the name just confirms what a lot of people already believe, Nintendo is kiddy.

Here's the lowdown on the name Wii:

1. Not us or them, but "we". Means it's for everyone.

2. The ii looks like people crowding around it and the i looks like the numbchuk controller.

and 3. Shout it out loud, makes you feel good :lol: ,(WWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!)

Back