Why Is It Worth Waiting For Pandora?

'ion' said:
By the time the Pandora comes out, the Nokia N900 will be out and there goes this.
While it looks likely that the N900 - whatever it is called by release time - will have SOME fetaures better than the Pandora (hi def camera and online-anywhere 3G connectivity, for example) the Pandora will still outdo it as a games machine IMHO - more open, more quality devs that don't need paying because they work for the love of doing so, and of course the gaming controls. So the Pandora should still be better than the N900, partly because of the hardware but also partly because of the community. Not just A community. THIS community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhm... to be honest, the first time I was attracted to this project was after looking at the "PSOne portable" project of this guy, Benjamin J Heckendorn (http://benheck.com/all-game-projects), and then googling for related products / projects. He'd made these awsome mods (SNES portable, PSOne portable, etc) some years ago and I was like... wow!

I know I could somehow get a PSP and try to hack it, or ask someone else to hack it, and play my old PSOne games on it, but I really wasn't happy with that idea (having to hack away an expensive device... that shouldn't need to be hacked in the first place... but well, that's Sony's business, not mine :D). And also there weren't many PSP games that I really wanted to play...

Then I noticed this project like a year ago, and silently followed its progress. And well, I fell in love with the device. So much that I'm waiting for it to play some games I have for years, but haven't played / finished yet, like Final Fantasy 9, Vagrant Story or the PS version of Resident Evil 3 (I played the PC version since it had better graphics, but it lacks the branching paths of the PS or the Dreamcast version).

So in short, this is my dream toy :p. And no matter I'm almost 30, I love to play.

No its not worth it this pice of shit (> :pandora1: ) is going to come out in the robot ages. They think they got so good costumer support but its been a year of delays. 3 months ago this stupid to do list came out with a crap load of stuff to do and only 2 stuff have been checked off. Im buying a more proffesional products and leave you dumb-shits waiting here for you panora until the 22nd century. :p

"professional" as a trerm is overrated. While it used to have connotations of quality, nowadays we are mostly down to the lowest common denominator of "paid for". A definition that the Pandora meets as well as any other console.

I have no proof to offer other than forum comments about dilligent testing of multiple CNC case cycles, of testing for stress in white and clear, of working on the keyboard layout over and over and over, or putting considerable thought into the design of the anologue nubs, and the control layout as a whole... I don't know, but if we were to resurrect the "quality" and "attention to detail" connotations of the word "professional" - just for arguments sake - would the DS or the PSP (or other big-brand consoles) REALLY rate higher than the Pandora?

Ta,

pandora is gangsta said:
No its not worth it this pice of shit (> :pandora1: ) is going to come out in the robot ages. They think they got so good costumer support but its been a year of delays. 3 months ago this stupid to do list came out with a crap load of stuff to do and only 2 stuff have been checked off. Im buying a more proffesional products and leave you dumb-shits waiting here for you panora until the 22nd century. :p
i'm really curious, what are these 'proffesional' products you speak of?

btw, i'm going to have my personal grammar squad lynch you. good luck.

Xian Long said:
pandora is gangsta said:
i'm really curious, what are these 'proffesional' products you speak of?

btw, i'm going to have my personal grammar squad lynch you. good luck.

OMGs yall his gramer is suck! People really need to learn to not name themselves after a product that they will probably not like. On another note, for some reason if you switch the editor to the other one it doesn't check for spelling :( .
Edit: That didn't make sense.

I mean the ipod touch and the psp can pretty much do the same things as the Pandora. Ipod touches have an app store and many of the apps are free, and if it isnt enough you can jailbreak your ipod. Psp's can run home brew as long as it had been hacked.

Keep in mind that the Pandora is 360 bucks with shipping(not including SD card cost). You can get 2 Nintendo dsi. The Pandora may have a lot of power but it looks like it isn't living up to its potential. Does "Pandora panic" look any better graphics to you than "resistance retribution"? its the same thing as the 360 and the ps3. The ps3 is way more powerful but do the graphics look any better?

The ipod touch has an aluminum casing, an accelorometer, and an award winning gui. The pandora's gui looks like its so hard to press on thing with the tiny icons. The pandora had a bigger screen but on the other hand it is about twice the size. The quality of the pandora's screen looks no better than the ipods.

Keep in mind that psp, ds, and ipod go on sale. The pandora does not. And who knows if this is going to be a total flop and developers are going to quit making crap for it. I also don't see the point of open source. Closed source looks better than open source to me. Open source thing look like the quality of the software it worse, but that's just my 2 cents.

I admit the Pandora looks better than other products but I'm not waiting all this time and in the end see that its a total flop and the quality is crap or something like that. You know those cheap Chinese mp4 players that sell on eBay for 10 bucks. They look so good until you buy them. ill just be looking for a good deal on something professional and if the Pandora comes out before i find something i might as well buy it if its good.

Oh ya and username i never said i didnt like the pandora i said the shit is taking too long to fuckin come out.

pandora is gangsta said:
I mean the ipod touch and the psp can pretty much do the same things as the Pandora. Ipod touches have an app store and many of the apps are free, and if it isnt enough you can jailbreak your ipod. Psp's can run home brew as long as it had been hacked.

Keep in mind that the Pandora is 360 bucks with shipping(not including SD card cost). You can get 2 Nintendo dsi. The Pandora may have a lot of power but it looks like it isn't living up to its potential. Does "Pandora panic" look any better graphics to you than "resistance retribution"? its the same thing as the 360 and the ps3. The ps3 is way more powerful but do the graphics look any better?

The ipod touch has an aluminum casing, an accelorometer, and an award winning gui. The pandora's gui looks like its so hard to press on thing with the tiny icons. The pandora had a bigger screen but on the other hand it is about twice the size. The quality of the pandora's screen looks no better than the ipods.

Keep in mind that psp, ds, and ipod go on sale. The pandora does not. And who knows if this is going to be a total flop and developers are going to quit making crap for it. I also don't see the point of open source. Closed source looks better than open source to me. Open source thing look like the quality of the software it worse, but that's just my 2 cents.

I admit the Pandora looks better than other products but I'm not waiting all this time and in the end see that its a total flop and the quality is crap or something like that. You know those cheap Chinese mp4 players that sell on eBay for 10 bucks. They look so good until you buy them. ill just be looking for a good deal on something professional and if the Pandora comes out before i find something i might as well buy it if its good.
Oh ya and username i never said i didnt like the pandora i said the shit is taking too long to fuckin come out.

Dude, I criticize the pandora a shitload but at least come up with more valid points than that.
1. the point of the pandora isn't price- this isn't another mp4 player where price matters since they all have the same featureset. the pandora may be priced high but the majority of buyers ARENT BUYING IT FOR THE PRICE- they're buying it for its featureset, and buying two DSi's isn't equal to buying 1 pandora.
2. youre fucking judging a game, made by a ragtag group of forum members, in their spare time, trying to create a release title for the console WHICH IS NOT RELEASED YET, to a game with a multimillion dollar production team, on an established handheld. smart. also, the ps3 isn't nessecarily totally dominating the 360 in power- like all consoles of previous generations, each have different areas they excel at due to fundamental differences in hardware. but, hey, thanks for judging the catalogue of games on a system thats not released yet.
3. oh my gosh, aluminum casing, acceleratometors, and awards! all things that shouldnt matter. what should matter is the overall product, and while the iphone is pretty good, what would aluminum, acceleromators, or gimicky yet pretty and sleek interfaces due to improve the pandora? also, i have an archos... the screen is on par with an ipod touch (though to be honest ive only seen it a few times, never done a direct comparison) as far as sharpness goes.
4. none of these things stopped the gp2x from flourishing. you also obviously have no real experience in open source, youre probably taking advice from the crysis club at overclocked.net. i mean, firefox sucks compared to IE! we all know that. just like openoffice is positively feature barren compared to microsoft word, the linux kernel is totally in use on way less embedded devices than windows software. and then, of course, you also have closed source ports, new homebrew, and the established open source games database.
5. if you just call every part of it crap why do you say you like it better than the other devices :|

Wow, I thought my bitching was bad. I just hope the Pandora team can make a successful product without the Chinese cloning the fuck out of it. With my current financial status I'll just have to wait for the 2nd batch. I hope.

I think if the Pandora was released before 2009 it would be a much better hit, the technology in it is getting outdated afterall the life of consumer electronics is bearly a year nowadays.

Remember, if you post here you should explain what makes it worth for you to wait, not how tired you are of waiting, etc.

Thanks. :)

pandora is gangsta > you've just explained why the pandora is absolutely not for you.
Don't waste your time. Get a psp, an ipod or a ds, and be happy ;)

It's worth waiting for because I've already paid for it. As far as I'm concerned, that money is gone. If OpenPandora folded tomorrow, I would be no worse off than I was yesterday. When the Pandora finally arrives, it will be 100% bonus.
I only feel bad for the person I convinced to get one as a birthday gift for her boyfriend's birthday. His birthday was last week. :(

Thanks God I didn't wait and got a Raon Note in december, is all I can say. I still love the Pandora project as a concept, but more and more it looks to me it's not even close to be finished and it won't be coming out at all, and I'm quite happy playing HL2, Shenmue in a dreamcast emu and browsing with HSDPA in a computer that fits a jacket pocket.

Right now, Pandora is almost too late, and sadly I thing that when it comes out it wil be already too late. Great idea, bad timing. When it was announced, it was amazing a full computer in your pocket, right now we have the umid m1 or the aigo xp that do just that. Not open source, no linux, no community, much more expensive, no gaming controls, but the concept itself has already been realised and it's out of the door, while the Pandora keeps aging badly.

Back