Why are there 2 SD card slots but no easy means of duplicating an SD card?

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
Title pretty much says it all.

I just keep running into permission errors in terminal and have tried various means of duplicating pandora/menu and pandora/appdata

SD slot 1: Lexar128GB

SD slot 2: 2LEXAR128GB

Error I'm getting is:

Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1001: Operation not permitted

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone considered making a .PND of an SD card duplicator type program?

Last edited by a moderator:
dd unix command should be able to able to do a SD to SD copy.

Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mmcblk1

Should copy SD1 to SD2

Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 of=/dev/mmcblk0

Should copy SD2 to SD1

Note all data on destination SD card will be gone(it will have same data as the source SD card).

Thanks. I'll give that a try as the tar ball I just tried didn't copy the subfolders over for appdata ie panmame and fba.

Muchly appreciated!

A blind dd is a pretty bad idea in this case.

If the target drive is some bits smaller than the source, bad things will happen.

And worst:

/dev/mmcblk0 is not the left slot anymore (kernel 2.6), it's now the first inserted card when you boot on NAND.

So the risk here is erasing the source card.

Better use:

sudo cp -p -r /media/source/* /media/target/

There's probably better solutions.

Anyway, Link, indeed this "duplicate" utility is missing.

that is very strange. try formatting the cards from your pandy directly or from a bash terminal run sudo (filemanager of pandora)e.g. "sudo nautilus"

or both.

Just use cp -r and ignore those permission errors, they're probably caused by the target file system to be FAT so it doesn't have the concept of file ownership.

Or the erros are some virtual files / links. dd without a blocksize is a BAD idea, don't do it. It takes very long since it copys byte by byte (made a 500GB backup this way, took 13 hours).

If you want to use dd use bs=1M (bs = blocksize) or something.

Is it possible to make a duplicating SD utility to avoid permission issues?

Well, when duplicating, you will have to make decisions. Do you want to copy links? What about hardlinks? What if the file systems are different? What about those permissions?

These options and your decisions about them make the process of duplicating more complex than a simple Windows copy usually is. If you expect something like that (copy everything you can copy, throw away everything else) a

Code:
sudo cp -r -d -v --reply=yes /media/src/* /media/target/
should be rather close. A utility would have to provide these options, too. It's thinkable and doable, of course, but probably the group this would be useful for is just too small.

^

Thanks for the heads up. I've been thinking it would be a good utility as it looks like a utility has been added to format SD cards properly (although I haven't tried that program yet).

Back