Whos Done The Most Soldering On Their Gp2x's

R

Reesy

I'm interested to hear who else has had to do repairs on their GP2Xs yet. So far I've....

De-soldered broken joystick
Added joypad (which was a complete pain in the ass after a couple of days )
De-soldered joypad
Re-soldered repaired joystick
Re-soldered speakers
Re-soldered power socket
Re-soldered head phones.

If anyone can beat that I will be surpised :)

That scares me, it really does! I wouldn't know where to start, so hopefully it'll behave itself.

In answer to your thread question, EvilDragon has done the most soldering on my GP2x

man, that is unlucky. All I've done is replace the joystick cap.

but I did have a several-day fight with my win98 machine (and the internet in general), to get it recognise my SD card reader :)
Plus I cannot convince a single SD card that I've ever layed hands on to upgrade my firmware the 'official' way, so im stuck with the hacked 1.4.

I get more problems with software than hardware!

Ringo posted on May 23 2006 at 06:07 PM said:
awww....

As I recall that joypad you made looked cool!

Of cause if it doesn't play well...

Yeah it work okay for abit, then I was forever having to play around with it in order to get all directions working correctly without having to press really hard. A bit of a bummer but I've managed to get my original joystick working correctly again so no great loss. I'll be ordering one of the joypad kits though, as soon as they are released :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it work okay for abit, then I was forever having to play around with it in order to get all directions working correctly without having to press really hard.

Mine was like that, but it was due to the casing being too tight. It just needed more shaving on the d-pad.

I actually desoldered and resoldered every part on the gp2x that was done by hand. They didnt need it, but the solder looked like it was contaminated. I figured while i had it apart, might as well clean it up and reattach everything with some nice clean electronics grade solder.

Well, while I didn't do most soldering on my gp2x, I guess I am the one who soldered around in more gp2x than any other one (about 200 now ;))

Just today I soldered around in four gp2x... change the resistor, change the Current Step Convertor (which breaks when you put too high current in with your PSU... and that's a REAL bitch to solder), changed a switch, some headphone ports...

Certainly not me. I'm still afraid to solder anything after successfully destroying my GBA trying to solder on an Afterburner, and ruining my Xbox mobo trying to solder on a modchip. ;)

Soooo much time could have been saved if GPH got it right the first time.

TyBO! posted on May 23 2006 at 03:23 PM said:
Certainly not me. I'm still afraid to solder anything after successfully destroying my GBA trying to solder on an Afterburner, and ruining my Xbox mobo trying to solder on a modchip. ;)

want to sell me that afterburner? :D

Well I once took 3 screens out from the back of my gp2x but never got the 4th out.

Then I just took off the hard screen and cleaned out the dust.

Ok so its not sodering but thats probaly the most I ever want to do anyway.

I've been lucky so far and have only had to re-solder my headphone jack. I was wondering why i heard sound coming out of the speakers when i had the headphones in the jack. I thought it was because I just updated to firmware 2.0. Then I looked at the jack, put the headphones back in then hard something rattling in my system. I looked at it again, cussed for a bit, then whipped out the soldering kit. Now works like a charm...so far. Thank god I haven't had to do what Reesy or EvilDragon has. I'm ok at soldering but not that good.

grahf posted on May 23 2006 at 05:18 PM said:

Check your PMs. :)

Reesy posted on May 23 2006 at 02:45 PM said:
I'm interested to hear who else has had to do repairs on their GP2Xs yet. So far I've....

De-soldered broken joystick
Added joypad (which was a complete pain in the ass after a couple of days )
De-soldered joypad
Re-soldered repaired joystick
Re-soldered speakers
Re-soldered power socket
Re-soldered head phones.

If anyone can beat that I will be surpised :)

Just in case your repaired stick goes tits up:

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/subRange...96&cacheID=ukie

Real cheap for a shiny new one :)

TyBO! posted on May 23 2006 at 06:02 PM said:
grahf posted on May 23 2006 at 05:18 PM said:

Check your PMs. :)
If he changes his mind, I'm interested!

I have soldered and re-soldered the contacts at the back of the joystick connections many, many times. Each new prototype I made for my D-pad (as per my previous topics) meant removing the old wires and replacing them - must have been (as I recall) about 15-20 or so occasions - until I finally connected (7) long wires (about 15cms long each) to each connector, to make future upgrading of the D-pad/repairs easier (no need to keep removing and re-soldering new wires anymore). The long wires fit (tightly) into my GP2x, although I had to take my time closing the GP2x case with a stack of wires inside. I had re-soldered wires to the joystick connectors so many times I was getting large blobs of solder on each contact, which became ever harder to keep away from its neighbour (my soldering skills are not great) - hence the other reason for installing long wires!

Sod's Law - The D-pad I made towards the end of April (final one) has been working perfectly ever since, (I am pleased to report), is easy and responsive to use and achieves good diagonals; :rolleyes: I love it; so I haven't had to open the GP2x case since then and play with the wires; however if my home-made D-pad ever fails or I decide to "upgrade it" I can do it now more easily, and hopefully without any future soldering! ;)

Get some desoldering braid (Thanks to grahf for the tip), I don't know how I managed without it before. If only I have known about it before I probably could have saved my PS2 mod attempt. Its brilliant, if you bodge it up. Just stick the braid on the problem and watch it suck all of the solder up.

Back