Who has a Nokia N900

Hmm, i ever wanted an 950 but never found one:(
Would be so cool to have a newer Phone with multitouch and so on:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the devs always get the cool toys :p

But TBH, I'd see a market for the N950... but It seems that Nokia doesnt after the M$ takeover (at least that is what it seems from my PoV)...

and they did the N9 too just to satisfy their requirements to do so (IIRC they needed to make a meego device because meego deal with intel or something).

I have a few N900's, although they are retired now. I used it as main phone for a few years until it just became too slow and obsolete, as much as it pains me to use something else now.

N900?

The Linux for it,can i use Phone/SmS/Internet on the Linux for it too?

Is there an Android for the N900 out there too?

was there not an Omap3530 buildin like the Pandora?

This Phone souns Interresting for me.

Which Linux Version are aviable for it?

I have a few N900's, although they are retired now. I used it as main phone for a few years until it just became too slow and obsolete, as much as it pains me to use something else now.
I used it as main phone for a few years until it just became too slow

Since when did computers slow down as they age?
The phone is as fast as when it was new, but websites (including mobile versions) seem to be getting heavier. Maybe that is just my perception.

I regularly use 5-12 open Apps and webpages on the N900. Quite impressive considering it has only 256MB RAM.

N900?

The Linux for it,can i use Phone/SmS/Internet on the Linux for it too?

Is there an Android for the N900 out there too?

was there not an Omap3530 buildin like the Pandora?

This Phone souns Interresting for me.

Which Linux Version are aviable for it?
1) Yes the full phone features are available on the stock distro (Maemo)

2) Yes there is Android http://wiki.maemo.org/NITDroid_Port

3) Yes, OMAP3530

4) Default OS is Maemo, basically linux, busybox, and a gui. You can also install debian on it, as well as Meego, supposedly Gentoo and some others.

The main weakness of the N900 is the USB port. It is mounted via solder on the mainboard and many people report it losing contact or even falling out. You can use epoxy to strengthen the connection (see google). I have had 5 N900s and only had USB problems after tripping over the USB cable and sending the unit flying.

I have GCC and development libs installed on one of my N900s, so like with Pandora, I can compile on device (and do).

Cheers

Wow thx for Information.

I will buy one and prepare then the USB Pord before using with Epoxid or better Things.

When the Usb Port is the only Weakness,then can i maybe make it more stable before using.

Android for ist?Linux for it sound cool,thx for Infos ;)

Isn't that the fault of outdated file systems that fragment easily, and ignorant users who don't try to do anything about it?
I just wanted to make a jab at Windows. I know what you meant by that.

Back