While I wait for my Panda... (Software questions and SD card setup)

Ghostcart

As anyone who watches the Trading section knows, I'm looking to pick up a rebirth (likely from link).

While I wait for him to get parts in and fix up the things, I figured I'd ask some questions and possibly set up my SD card in advance.

1) Is there a version of MySQL Workbench or similar?

2) Is there a JDK?

3) It's looking like slackware is my best bet for school work and I do notice a recent port of Ubuntu: is Mint possible though?

I'll edit in more as I think of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.) not to my knowledge.

2.) yes, there is.

3.) Mint won't be possible as they don't have an arm port. Ubuntu is slow as hell. In slackware there is no build of LibreOffice right now, but you can use PanDebian to use it. If thats what you need for school.

Actually, could a mod move this to the normal General Talk? I think I put it in the wrong place.
It was the wrong place indeed, and "General Talk" would also be the wrong place, so I took the liberty of moving this thread to the right place :)

Thanks wb and mcobit.

So no MySQL... hmm...

We're using Mint in class, so I was hoping to match it. Libreoffice sounds fine for tweaking papers.

New questions!

1) How durable are the shoulder buttons? Are they subject to the same lint trapping problem as the DS line?

2) What format is best for my SD cards? 

I don't think it would be hard to get MySQL running on the Pandora - I don't see why a simple ./configure; make; make install wouldn't work.

1) The shoulder buttons seem to be quite durable, at least on my unit. I use them a lot (especially the left one, I always use it for shift).

2) The best format for SD cards depends on how you intend to use them. If you want to use them on Windows computers too, then it's probably best to format them to FAT or NTFS. Otherwise ext2/3/4 is a better idea, because it's good to have things like permissions and symlinks. Also, iirc, some (cheap?) SD cards are optimized for FAT, so they might be slower or less durable if you use other filesystems. If you use ext3 or ext4, you might want to disable the journal because it could add extra wear to the card. When you partition an SD card, I think you should also keep the first few megabytes unallocated for some reason (maybe for wear levelling or something).

MySQL is not the problem and already runs afaik, but MySQL Workbench, the graphical editor and manager for databases is not ported and needs a lot of new libs, including newer glib and gtk.

Of course it could work with Slackware but someone has to test it.

1.) I had to fix my shoulderbuttons once because the solderpoints broke off. Might be my fault though because I dropped it. But a bit of solder did the job and I never had problems again.

Shoulder buttons are good.

My Dsi had 2-3 times broken shoulder buttons. Pandora didn't.

1) Is there an equivalent to Workbench that might work? I just need something that lets me to create and work on a local SQL database.

2) Looks like I need DrJava as well. Does the Jar work properly?

We have a pnd that allows you to install openjdk or oracle java.. so there is a good chance the jar files will work fine.

I just reformatted my 64gb pretec SD card i bought from link.
I used the freeware easus partition software for windows and had it format to fat 32 with 4kb sectors.
The card was previously formatted with 128kb sectors (windows default if i recall) and the change seems to have sped things up quite well.
Internet usage is certainly more responsive since the format.

Hi Ghostcart

1) Is there an equivalent to Workbench that might work? I just need something that lets me to create and work on a local SQL database.

2) Looks like I need DrJava as well. Does the Jar work properly?
2) DrJava works fine. I'm using the same jar on Win and Pandora... :)

Did only simple things with it so far though.

Back