Which webcam?

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
Hi guys an gals.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My mother is going overseas on Wednesday for 5 weeks, and she wants me to get set up with Skype so she can see my face every day. I personally didn't think this was an urgent matter, and planned to do some research to find out which would be the ideal Web cam to use with the Pyra when it comes out. I thought that getting it within the first week she's away would be fine, but apparently she expected me to be up and running by the time she lands in America.

So I have to get the bally thing today on the drive home from the trade festival.

I'll also probably be limited by whatever I can find in the shops...

But I would like some advice from you guys anyway.

Obviously it would have to work with Linux and Windows.

I would like to use it with the Pyra, not as a webcam, but to turn the Pyra into a digital camera and video recorder (so I won't need any other device). So I think the specs should be as good as possible?

Also it should be as discreet and small as possible, but I don't know how small a webcam can be with quality optics?

Is there any point in me pursuing this?

Should I just get an el cheapo webcam to satisfy my mother and a dedicated digital camera to use with the Pyra later?

What specs are important to look at when choosing a Web cam?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

P.s. I won't be able to reply until I stop in a few hours as I'll be driving...

Should I just get an el cheapo webcam to satisfy my mother and a dedicated digital camera to use with the Pyra later?.
I am not into taking high quality video and pictures, but this would be my suggestion.  It gives you time to do research and find something small and compatible of good quality, and shop around to get it at a good price.  

I was going to mention a line of products I often hear about, but I will skip it for now since there are other people with more knowledge that can give better, and more detailed, answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmm. I like that idea. I'll try set up my tablet or phone as a Web cam when I get home... If I am not successful ill zip into knysna tomorrow and get an entry level cam.

Thanks guys.

Im also search for some sort of a Camera where you can just put in the SD Card Slot or the USB ...

Because if i decide to use the Pyra as a Phone, i want have a Camera..

In the webcam department I am 5 for 5 for working on the Pandora, only one of which I specifically researched to make sure it was Linux compatible. Even the cheap-o $3 webcam I ordered off eBay China works, and does reasonably well if I sit far enough away from it. Point is, you're not going to be shooting any major motion pictures or taking high quality photos but for internet chatting you can get pretty much anything and it'll do the job.

Back