The Joys Of Webcam Configuring...

Tobriand

Website
Visit site
I've just got a webcam, and I *think* I've got it to a state where it'll work with MSN. Which is a shame really, since I can't use it with it - avid Trillian user. Which means I'm now in a position where I need to set up my own machine as a webserver. Theoretically, this oughtn't to be too awkward - after all, I am on a static IP. Unfortunately, I'm a novice when it comes to anything like this.

So far, I've downloaded the free (and therefore somewhat old) version of WebcamXP (I think ver 1.01.046 or something), managed to get it to use my internal IP addy as the webcam one with a fair ammount of success (i.e. it displays and works fine), and managed to get it to a point where connecting to my actual IP doesn't give a 404, but simply a "page cannot be displayed" in IE or a white page in Opera - clearly it is connecting, but nothing seems to be getting through.

The port I'm using is 8080, so hopefully that shouldn't be an issue, since its one of Norton's typical "HTTP" ports, and therefore is left open. However, perhaps the fact that I'm not the only machine on the internal network behind the router could be causing there to be some issues? Though I have turned on the port redirection for 8080 public to 8080 my machine, so I'd hope it isn't.

Anyways, anyone got suggestions for either ways to fix my current setup (webcamxp free) or a similarly price-less one that might work better?

Last time I tried to get an ftp server set up from my machine I had the same problem I've got now, I think - I could get it to work, easily, using my internal IP address, but the moment I wanted to connect using my "real" IP addy, no more than a white screen would it show... I might give it another shot, though, perhaps.

You don't have to setup an ftp-server - just get some free webspace somewhere and use this :)

Back