Which To Get?

Falseblue

Still Fresh
I have recently looked into this machine more deeply than before, and now of the wanting it ;)

But, dont know which system is the better choice to get. The F-200 is newer, etc. But, the F-100 has been used longer, and might be a better buy.

I wont be getting one soon, but, just wondering in the public eye.

If you are wanting to develop games, I think the F-100 is much better because of it's superior USB host mode handling capabilities. ie. allows telnet which is just so awesome for devs.

If you are just going to be playing games, F-200 has a better future in terms of new software that will make use of the touchscreen. It's also got a nicer controller but this is subjective.

i dont think the f100 is available anymore apart from Ebay, i might be wrong though.

Well, i've got a few of them left in my shop.
I can ship them abroad, no problem.

I would probably go with the F-200. I can develop maybe later, but Im more interested in just messing with it for awhile.

ouch!

I didn't know you couldn't telnet to the F200... what the hell? This sucks =(

Surely it's just a question of drivers? Tell me this can be fixed =s

otherwise the price difference is ridiculous, like 20$.... then you have double ram on the F200... and a better card reader, from my experience

xcen said:
ouch!

otherwise the price difference is ridiculous, like 20$.... then you have double ram on the F200... and a better card reader, from my experience

Read this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know how important telnet is (no clue, but Ill search the wiki in a few) to developing. But, touch screen is awesome.

But, I want to know if anyone has tried to use any different boot menus on the F200. I would throw the XMB one on the GP2X.

Falseblue said:
I dont know how important telnet is (no clue, but Ill search the wiki in a few) to developing. But, touch screen is awesome.
Telnet is an old standard for remote (or local) communication with a computer. You can run any program from it though the most usual is some sort of shell (like tcsh, bash or even sh. In the DOS world think DOS prompt).

It's not critical but it makes it so much easier and really a joy to develop software as you can test run programs directly without swapping SD cards. For example, when I am developing MAME add-ons, I compile on my laptop and then using samba shares run software directly from the GP2X. It's pretty awesome. Plus you can run things like gdb (debugger) directly from the GP2X itself for some quick bug finding.

Mind you if you aren't developing you probably don't need any of this. I just find it so much easier.

I would imagine most developers would want BOTH machines. :)

slaanesh said:
I compile on my laptop and then using samba shares run software directly from the GP2X. It's pretty awesome.
I am so glad that this feature was incorporated into the F100. The GP2X scene would not be as good today otherwise. Developing needs to be made as easy as possible.

Parkydr said:
xcen said:
ouch!

Read this.

awwww thanks for the info even though this is very depressing =(

Back