Which Gnuboy Emu Is Best?

Keto's 0.4b has full screen and sound but wierd ratio :)
(At least it works like that with Mr. Driller for gbc)

There is no rom selector but you can use shell script or script generator

SiIV posted on Dec 29 2005 at 11:38 AM said:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1007 this program will create launchers for each gb/gbc rom. Just put everything all in the same directory and run the .gpu file from applications. After that you load all of your roms from the games window and not an application.

Try the Selector instead. It will give you a pick list of all the roms in a directory and than launch your emu with the chosen rom as a parameter. You can even set different default parameters i.e. -sound, --no-sound, etc.

Get it here

Works great for both handy and gnuboy so far. It includes sample script for gnuboy.

Igboo

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried that but it's so confusing that I cant use it. I've looked at the readme but the only one in the file that I see is in spanish

SiIV posted on Dec 29 2005 at 03:18 PM said:
I've tried that but it's so confusing that I cant use it. I've looked at the readme but the only one in the file that I see is in spanish

Code:
#!/bin/sh

./selector ./gnuboy_config             <== Starts the selector here
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

If you look in the Selector zip file at the examples folder, The above code is the gnuboy.gpe file. It's just a script that calls the selector executable and passes it the gnuboy_config file as a parameter. The gnuboy_config file is just an ini file that contains the settings for the particular emu you're using.

Code:
#Selector configuration file
#Version 1.0

#Full path to skin files
skinPath=mnt/sd/skin

#List of full paths of command line options
cmdLine=/mnt/sd/roms/gameboy/gnuboy2x.gpe
cmdLine=/mnt/sd/roms/gameboy/gnuboy2x.gpe --no-sound
cmdLine=/mnt/sd/roms/gameboy/gnuboy2x.gpe --sound --samplerate=22050

#Full absolute path to base directory for file explorer
baseDir=/mnt/sd/roms/gameboy/

#File filters
fileFilter=gb
fileFilter=gbc

This is the gnuboy_config. The first part labeled '#Full path to skin files' you don't need to do anything with.

The second section '#List of full path of command line options' is the list of possible command to execut the emu. Each is set with different parameters and you select between them in the selector with the R and L buttons. Be sure to change each command line to match the directory layout on your card. Mine is '/mnt/sd/Games/gnuboy/gnuboy2x' I renamed my gnuboy2x.gpe file without the .gpe so it wouldn't show up on the game menu listing.

The third section 'Full absolute path to base directory...' tells the selector where to find your roms. The above example will look in the /roms/gameboy folder. Since I like to keep my roms in the program folder, I changed mine to this '/mnt/sd/Games/gnuboy/roms/'.

The last section '#File filters' just tells the selector what file types to look for. In this case, .gb and .gbc files. For handy this would be .zip and .lnx files.

Once set up, this selector works great. The only problem I have with it is if a roms name is too long, the text wraps in an odd way in the selector. Also, hopefully someone will start making some skins for this soon.

Hope this helps you get setup. If not, be sure and ask. :)

Igboo

Igboo:

Thank you for the information. I have tried setting this up without luck.

My emulator is in: /Games/Gameboy/<emulator>
anmd roms are in: /roms/gameboy

Everytime i try to use the selector it simply flashes and goes back to the main menu. = (

Suggestions?

Lanman posted on Dec 29 2005 at 08:37 PM said:
Igboo:

Thank you for the information. I have tried setting this up without luck.

My emulator is in: /Games/Gameboy/<emulator>
anmd roms are in: /roms/gameboy

Everytime i try to use the selector it simply flashes and goes back to the main menu. = (

Suggestions?

It would help if you could post your launcher script and you config file.

I would check that the launcher, config file and selector program are all in the same folder with your emulator. Make sure you are picking the launcher file in the games list. Also double check that the directories in your config match where the files actually are on the sd card, and remember case counts. Assuming you're using gnuboy2x.gpe, your config file should look like this:

Code:
#Version 1.0

#Full path to skin files
skinPath=mnt/sd/skin

cmdLine=/mnt/sd/Games/Gameboy/gnuboy2x.gpe
cmdLine=/mnt/sd/Games/Gameboy/gnuboy2x.gpe --no-sound
cmdLine=/mnt/sd/Games/Gameboy/gnuboy2x.gpe --sound --samplerate=22050

#File filters
fileFilter=gb
fileFilter=gbc
Some other odds and ends stuff... Your roms must be unzipped. Gnuboy2x doesn't have zip support yet.

From what you told me above, your roms folder is in the root of your sd card, right?

LMK how you're doing,

Igboo

Igboo:

Thank you for the help. My roms have been unzipped. I think I have a problem with my directory structure or my GPE file. They are listed below.

My gpe file reads as follows:

#!/bin/sh

./selector ./gnuboy_config
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

------
My config reads as follows:

#Version 1.0

#Full path to skin files
skinPath=mnt/sd/skin

cmdLine=/Games/GameBoy/gnuboy2x.gpe
cmdLine=/Games/GameBoy/gnuboy2x.gpe --no-sound
cmdLine=/Games/GameBoy/gnuboy2x.gpe --sound --samplerate=22050

baseDir=/roms/gameboy/

#File filters
fileFilter=gb
fileFilter=gbc
----

Any ideas based on the above. I am fairly competent with computers but am totally new to gp2x and appreciate the assistance.

Thank you.

Lanman posted on Dec 29 2005 at 10:15 PM said:
My config reads as follows:

#Version 1.0

#Full path to skin files
skinPath=mnt/sd/skin

cmdLine=/Games/GameBoy/gnuboy2x.gpe
cmdLine=/Games/GameBoy/gnuboy2x.gpe --no-sound
cmdLine=/Games/GameBoy/gnuboy2x.gpe --sound --samplerate=22050

baseDir=/roms/gameboy/

#File filters
fileFilter=gb
fileFilter=gbc
----

Any ideas based on the above. I am fairly competent with computers but am totally new to gp2x and appreciate the assistance.

Thank you.
I see what happened... you took away the part of your path that specified the sd card.

Your command lines should look like this:
cmdLine=/mnt/sd/Games/GameBoy/gnuboy2x.gpe
cmdLine=/mnt/sd/Games/GameBoy/gnuboy2x.gpe --no-sound
cmdLine=/mnt/sd/Games/GameBoy/gnuboy2x.gpe --sound --samplerate=22050

and your base directory like:

without the /mnt/sd, the program doesn't know that the directories are on the sd card.

Give that a try and see how it works,

Igboo

Well, still having no luck. I just don't understand why I can't get this to work.

my directories are:
/Games/Gameboy
/roms/gameboy

I have the following in /Games/Gameboy : gnuboy (the gpe), gnuboy_config, selector and gnuboy2x (gpe removed so it won't show in list)

My gnuboy and gnuboy (edited with wordpad) are as follows:

#!/bin/sh

./selector ./gnuboy_config
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

and

#Version 1.0

#Full path to skin files
skinPath=mnt/sd/skin

cmdLine=/mnt/sd/Games/Gameboy/gnuboy2x
cmdLine=/mnt/sd/Games/Gameboy/gnuboy2x --no-sound
cmdLine=/mnt/sd/Games/Gameboy/gnuboy2x --sound --samplerate=22050

#File filters
fileFilter=gb
fileFilter=gbc

All of that is precisely how I have it setup ... and when I go and try to run it through Game, I get a solid blackscreen. Before it use to flash and go back to the menu, not sure what I changed to get the new result.

= (

As an aside, hehe, I can run the emulator without Selector. = /

Well Lanman, I'm pretty well stumped too.

The only suggestion I have is to start over by editing the files with Notepad instead of Wordpad. Wordpad does some kind of translation of LF to CR/LF which messes things up under Linux. In Notepad, just enter and delete the text you need to change without messing with the end of line characters. I found this out myself after a lot of frustration. Any script I've edited in Wordpad bombed on me.

Someone told me a while ago about a programmer's editor that would properly handle Linux text, but I just haven't had time to try it out yet.

Let me know how you make out. Meanwhile, I'll keep digging.

Igboo

igboo posted on Dec 30 2005 at 09:47 PM said:
Well Lanman, I'm pretty well stumped too.

The only suggestion I have is to start over by editing the files with Notepad instead of Wordpad. Wordpad does some kind of translation of LF to CR/LF which messes things up under Linux. In Notepad, just enter and delete the text you need to change without messing with the end of line characters. I found this out myself after a lot of frustration. Any script I've edited in Wordpad bombed on me.

Someone told me a while ago about a programmer's editor that would properly handle Linux text, but I just haven't had time to try it out yet.

Let me know how you make out. Meanwhile, I'll keep digging.

Igboo

Igboo!!!!! It seems I am a true newb to this unit and it truely was the simplest issue ... but it did not pop out until the end. You are absolutely correct ... I was using WORDpad instead of NOTEpad and that was causing the problem.

I deleted everything, reinstalled and edited with NOTEpad and it worked on the first shot. I feel a little embarressed for not knowing that.

I truely appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thank you again. :)

Lanman posted on Dec 31 2005 at 10:23 AM said:
Igboo!!!!! It seems I am a true newb to this unit and it truely was the simplest issue ... but it did not pop out until the end. You are absolutely correct ... I was using WORDpad instead of NOTEpad and that was causing the problem.

I deleted everything, reinstalled and edited with NOTEpad and it worked on the first shot. I feel a little embarressed for not knowing that.

I truely appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thank you again. :)

Glad we finally figured that out. I fought with the Wordpad/Notepad issue for 4 days the first time I tried installing Duke2x <_< .

Enjoy,
Igboo

Back