Where To Download Winrar Or Linux Alternative

mvickers03

Everything is going really well so far.. was just wandering is there a Compressed archive program knocking about so I can extract Zip files on the Pandora without using the PC

There's 7zip which handles all manner of archives, including tar.gz, Zip, Rar, Iso, 7z (of course), etc. 7Zip is my preferred archiver on both Windows and Linux.

Also the Pandora no doubt has an archive manager built in, but because Rar is a licensed format, it probably isn't included in the default image and the ipkg for unrar would need to be installed.

I'm sure the team has the nitty gritty details, but Zip and other open-source friendly formats should be openable without installing anything extra. Just try double-clicking a Zip file and see what happens. :)

Someone should port emelFM2 to Pandora. It's a powerful file manager for those too lazy to hack everything into the command line. It supports archives, too.
http://emelfm2.net/

mindlord said:
There's 7zip which handles all manner of archives, including tar.gz, Zip, Rar, Iso, 7z (of course), etc. 7Zip is my preferred archiver on both Windows and Linux.

Also the Pandora no doubt has an archive manager built in, but because Rar is a licensed format, it probably isn't included in the default image and the ipkg for unrar would need to be installed.

I'm sure the team has the nitty gritty details, but Zip and other open-source friendly formats should be openable without installing anything extra. Just try double-clicking a Zip file and see what happens. :)

Thanks for that mate.. I use 7zip for windows,

I tried to open it and it doesn't recognise the format, it throws up a select program GUI and nothing in the list relates to Archives, I'm really new to linux and so far only know how to use PND's to install stuff. Do you know were I can find a Angstrom/Arm version of 7zip and how would I go about installing it to the NAND

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mali - The basic dependency is only GTK, so it should just be a simple recompile for the Pandora. Oh, and welcome back.

@mvickers - looks like you need this, but as to which version to get or how to install it... dunno.

Peazip is a very nice cross-platform file and archive manager, which supports many formats, and can be linked either to qt or to gtk2, being very user-friendly. It should be compiled from the sources since seems there's no precompiled version for arm anywhere.

Yeah welcome back Mali, where have you been??

Thanks Mindlord, there are a few to try, what type of Arm are we using? they have unstable versions for 5,6 and 7

I'm guessing it means that it should work but will not be 100% stable. not too bothered just about that as long as it works most of the time

joseluisjazz said:
Peazip is a very nice cross-platform file and archive manager, which supports many formats, and can be linked either to qt or to gtk2, being very user-friendly. It should be compiled from the sources since seems there's no precompiled version for arm anywhere.

Thanks for the reply but I'm a total Linux noob and don't know how to do any of that. I'm a Hardware guy by trade and use windows so this is all new to me

mvickers03 said:
joseluisjazz said:
Thanks for the reply but I'm a total Linux noob and don't know how to do any of that. I'm a Hardware guy by trade and use windows so this is all new to me
It's fine. I wasn't implying you should that. Just so you know the software is there, and it seems possible to make a nice PND package of it. I could try to compile it when I receive my pandora. I think it would be a nice addition.

thanks dflemstr... That's what I thought it was, but I didn't want to give out misinformation. I've already reached my quota for the day. :)

Thanks for your response's but turned out I was being stupid. Squeeze is infact installed by default. Just didn't see it

Doh! :)

Back