GZip

RoSS

Still Fresh
I started to do this before I realized it was above my ability (mostly because I suck =P), but I thought it would be a really good idea to support tar.gz files. Gzipped files are very compressed, much more so than .zip'd files, and could really increase the amount of stuff you could put on an SMC. And, of course, making it an uncompressed tarball is just because zlib can only compress a single file.

I imagine it like this: Let's say you used your GP32 for three different things: Playing MP3's, playing your large collection of SNES games and playing your large collection of PC Engine games. You'd create a gzipped tarball of each. Whenever you want to do something, like play your SNES collection, you'd extract the files and delete the archive using the program. Then, when you're done, you'd have the program archive them back up, deleting the files as it goes.

From what I can tell, this dream seems very possible, albeit above my abilities... but do you guys think this could be a reality or just a pipe dream?

I heard that bzip gives better compression. Also MP3 files cant be compressed further as they are already seriously compressed. Same goes for fxe I should think

It's a nice idea but I don't think it will work.
Let's say you have a 40MB archive with SNES roms and a 40MB archive with PC-engine roms. You now need al least another 40MB free on your SMC to extract all the files from the archive (because you can only delete the original archive after extracting).

So now I have a choice to put two archives of 40MB on my SMC and leave the rest of the SMC free for unpacking, or not use your program and just fill up the complete 120MB with (zipped) roms. I think the second method will allow for more roms on the SMC.

Back