Where can i find a hotfix 5 rootfs image?

Fworg64

Who knows?
i looked in openpandora.org/firmware but cannot seem to find something named "hotfix 5" or the like.

I think what you're after is the download titled "Complete firmware image including all Hotfixes 2011-03 (Zaxxon)". Since Hotfix 6 hasn't yet been finalised, this one can only possibly contain everything up to Hotfix 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

// I have this strange feeling too, some things about Pandora are incredibly simple, others are sort of black magic.

Hey! Are you mocking me ?!? Don't you realise how important I am? I've pnd'd Python apps! PYTHON !!!!! Do you think just anybody can do that ?!?

What? They can ?!? And it wouldn't take them half a day to figure out how to resize them to fit one the screen? Oh.

Anyways, I gave the link 'cos you screenshotted a page that's different from the one the OP was referring to (namely http://www.openpandora.org/firmware)

Well you dig programming languages so you do know what precedence is, right?

- Official website and links for Average Joe User there

- Wiki and links for advanced users and developers, forums

- Custom stuff by enthusiasts

- Everything else

:p

thank you for the links, downlading the direct link now... from my pandora... this may be a while :p

ok may be a silly question, how do i use this to boot from SD? If i understand correctly this is for reflashing, which i dont want to do.

unfourtunatly i believe not :/. That asks for a .tar.bz2 file, which a downloaded from openpandora.org/firmware but seems to be hotfix6A4. the hotfix 5 .zip appears to be for a reflash (not what i want, i want 6A4 on my NAND and 5 on my sd). Would i have to do some thing wierd like tar.bz2 the rootfs.img file in the .zip?

thanks for the help!

I'm afraid I don't know, and this is out of my league as I haven't had any cause to set up a bootable SD Card at this time. I'll have to defer to the experts - sorry about that!

A stupid but 100% efficient way to surely do what you want is reflash to the version you want to run from an SD card, copy the files from NAND and then reflash back t what you want to run without an SD card.

Also, I should bring my apologies for not reading the damn question before answering, now when you mentioned you need the rootfs to install it on an SD card, I think I know what you want.

I guess since hotfix 5 was announced 04 March 2011, the rootfs you need would be in the /old subdirectory:

Angstrom-pandora-xfce-image-glibc-ipk-2010.4-test-20110304-omap3-pandora.rootfs.tar.bz2 04-Mar-2011 11:39 190M

and I think that is the tar.bz2 your installer asks for.

You might try newer rootfs.tar.bz2 in the same /old subdir.

If it's any consolation Fworg64, I was intending to do a similar thing to you. I thought the thing I linked would do it, but it looks like it can't be used for that (I thought you might be able to loop mount it to get the contents of rootfs.img, but that's apparently not possible with ubifs images). It looks like using it as Hoodoo suggested (reflashing the nand with it, copying the nand to a sd card, then reflashing your nand back to hotfix 6a again) is the only to use it directly.

It's a bit of a bummer really, 'cos in my experience the images in openpandora.org/firmware are never exact matches to the nand, so even the one released about the same time as hotfix 5 will have some differences to what nand image + hotfix 5 would be (e.g. libraries missing or added, or older or newer versions of them).

Hmm, he might install the given rootfs than run an updater from the official updates page.

By the way I wonder why one would like to have two different versions of Angstrom?

By the way I wonder why one would like to have two different versions of Angstrom?

For me, it's useful to have a 'clean' OS on a SD card to test PNDs before releasing them, so I can check that they can be run by a different user (i.e. there's no file permission issues) and that they're not dependent on something I have on my system which isn't part of the default setup. I didn't do this with the 'RadioTray' release, hence the recent thread about it not working.

But I guess the main reason is because hotifx 6 is still alpha (well, it's beta now), so there's probably situations where it's useful to revert to something more stable.

Hmm. Neat. For me hf5 is not the option because of wifi.

I'm going to have a sort of distro zoo for my Pandora, this whole week Gentoo is compiling, then there is that Archlinux fork for ARM, going to try it too.

well hoodoo for me i choose HF5 just for wifi :p , its the one alan made his packet injection patches for, and its workin like a charm, thank you to every one who helped me out here.

Just some clarifications:

Yes, the rootfs you need for SD Installation are on http://openpandora.org/firmware/

They aren't named HF5 final or anything like that, they are named after the date when they have been created (automatically).

HF5 Final was released 2011-03, so the rootfs for that would be:

http://openpandora.org/firmware/images/old/Angstrom-pandora-xfce-image-glibc-ipk-2010.4-test-20110304-omap3-pandora.rootfs.tar.bz2

I'm planning on reorganizing the homepage completely, making it MUCH more user friendly and also have a firmware section which points to the rootfs as well as to the older firmware full flash images as well.

I will do this actively as soon as the whole investor / business plan thing is through, so I guess it will be October.

BTW: How does the SD Installer handle the kernel?

You always need to have the correct kernel for the correct OS to make it work properly

BTW: How does the SD Installer handle the kernel?

I've never managed to get uBoot to read the kernel from an EXT partition, so I set up the installer to copy it to the FAT partition.

It uncompresses the .tar.gz file to the EXT partition to create the root filesystem. This leaves you with a copy of the kernel in the /boot directory. The installer then copies this to the FAT partition and deletes /boot.

Back