Whats the "killer app" going to be for the Pyra?

He was specifically talking about fullspeed emulation,
Then it's doubly-incorrect, PS1 fullspeed emulation on PocketPC was achieved way before the Pandora, there were PocketPC models running at 600+ Mhz and I distinctively remember playing Tekken 2 fullspeed on such machines in the early 2000s. Blanket statements about stuff you don't know about is very dangerous.

Then it's doubly-incorrect, PS1 fullspeed emulation on PocketPC was achieved way before the Pandora, there were PocketPC models running at 600+ Mhz and I distinctively remember playing Tekken 2 fullspeed on such machines in the early 2000s. Blanket statements about stuff you don't know about is very dangerous.
I think there was hardcoded throttle in psx emu to "simulate fullspeed"

Wysyłane z mojego SK17i za pomocą Tapatalk 2

What percentage of PSX games could run fullspeed on that PocketPC? Also, you're saying no frameskip, correct?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
@ekianjo - please don't get sidetracked over what was possible at the time - I was just saying what it was that made me want to move from a GP2X to the Pandora, and wondering if there will be something that does the same for the Pyra...

I was never drawn to a pocket PC... you're probably right, but around 2007, it didn't feel like there was a handheld (games) machine with the potential of the Pandora...

As incredible as PS1 emulation on a 400mhz ARM CPU was, my understanding was that fpsece needed frameskip. That is not fullspeed emulation.

An improved 'mouse experience' could make a lot of games playable that aren't now, at least to me. I can't get the hang of the nubs, in part because they don't offer the same 'dynamic response', but mostly because they use totally different parts of my brain/body and it seems I'm too old to be retrained :) Being able to enjoy Deus Ex (one of the few Windows games I really like) on the go could make me very happy.

I think the difference in performance for DS emulation will be very appreciable for some games. Viable resolution enhancement for some games is also a maybe (but more so if we get a quad core than a dual core).

I presume it'll be a lot better for some Android games. The bar should raise a lot with emulating Windows stuff. Then there's Saturn emulation, not sure what the requirements of a very optimized emulator would be like but Pyra should still be better at dealing with it than Pandora.

Would not hold my breath for very fast Gamecube or PS2 emulation.

What percentage of PSX games could run fullspeed on that PocketPC? Also, you're saying no frameskip, correct?
https://www.youtube.com/embed/0M6o-i0dEBQ?feature=oembed
Unfortunately, I don't know what the frame counter is supposed to mean so that by itself doesn't say much about speed, except that it probably shouldn't be fluctuating a lot for most of these games which are typically frame locked. But I doubt you could play that much consistently fullspeed w/o frameskip with a 400MHz XScale device. Sure, there's probably some games that were very light, you always find those games, I bet I could find a DS game I could emulate fullspeed w/o frameskip with the Pandora only clocked at 200MHz. The earlier versions of FPSEce didn't even have sound (and now it rips off the audio code from other PS1 emulators..), making the emulation load lighter and also making it harder to judge what is and isn't fullspeed for people who aren't familiar with the game.

On the other hand, PSP was able to play a lot of PS1 games very well (and long before Pandora), thanks in no small part to having low overhead and fairly compatible 3D acceleration.

In terms of emulation: full speed PSP and DreamCast emulation should be no problem. Maybe GameCube? Maybe even some Vita games, if someone manages to get that to work through some kind of compatibility layer?

For me the "killer app" would be that it can completely replace my laptop. Connecting it to a TV/beamer to watch movies or show slides in high resolution should be no problem. Wifi should be reliable and fast -- just like on my laptop. I can just apt-get install whatever software I want -- just like on my laptop. Connecting a fast USB 3.0 external hard disk. etc, etc.
Maybe Vita games in the future. Although, some games wouldn't be playable without the touchpad. 

If it's strong enough and have a camera, my "Killer app" is it can replace my phone and I can do some GameCube emulation at least at playable speeds and enhance other emulations overall.

An improved 'mouse experience' could make a lot of games playable that aren't now, at least to me. I can't get the hang of the nubs, in part because they don't offer the same 'dynamic response', but mostly because they use totally different parts of my brain/body and it seems I'm too old to be retrained :) Being able to enjoy Deus Ex (one of the few Windows games I really like) on the go could make me very happy.
Say WHAT? What "mouse experience" do you expect the Pyra to deliver? Sitting at a table, you might be able to plug a real mouse to the Pyra. Playing "on the go" means using the nubs for mouse, just as on the Pandora.

Maybe Vita games in the future. Although, some games wouldn't be playable without the touchpad.
Very unlikely. Especially not with only two cores.

3DS emulation is less unrealistic, but there's still a mountain of unknowns before an assessment can even be attempted.

Very unlikely. Especially not with only two cores.

3DS emulation is less unrealistic, but there's still a mountain of unknowns before an assessment can even be attempted.
I had Allwinner in mind when I posted that.
Trying to play the 3DS on one 5in screen isn't really appealing to me.

Hmm, 3DS is the only thing I'd like to see that we don't have. Vita wouldn't really be possible on an OMAP, maybe the Allwinner at veryyy low speeds (the big.LITTLE looks promising but the GPU isn't all that). But I think the 3DS is possible with enough work. However, I don't think anyone does 3DS yet so I don't foresee that coming even to PC for a few years still.

I had Allwinner in mind when I posted that.

Trying to play the 3DS on one 5in screen isn't willing appealing to me.
Never used DraStic?  ;)

Putting whether the 3DS is possible or not aside... The GPU in the A80 looks awesome, what are you talking about?
-God Ginrai
It looks okay. About half the GPU performance of Apple's A7, assuming similar clock speeds. Certainly better the SGX544MP2 in OMAP5, both in performance and features.

Enough for Vita emulation? Maybe, who knows.

Back