External control pad for the pandora

TDT

Hey all,

So...I got my pandora yesterday (YAY!), and have been setting it up. There's a friend and I, which we may like to play some on the bus - and I'm looking for a solution that allows me to hold the game itself, and have a USB-gamepad or bluetooth-gamepad that she can use. I was guessing the game pads I have would work (an SNES usb-one, and a PS2-like gamepad) but neither would be recognized by the system. Is there a game pad, in existence, that would work for this? Maybe I need to do something from the OS level to get it to recognize.

Thanks

Most USB game pads are USB1.1 devices, Since the Pandora's regular USB connector is USB 2.0 High Speed only, You will need to use a real USB 2.0 compliant Hub for it to handle the USB 1.1 devices properly.Also if you connect a non-USB 2.0 device into the Pandora directly without a HUB it will crash the USB kernel module, you will need to shut down the Pandora and restart for it to recognize USB devices again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

So...I got my pandora yesterday (YAY!), and have been setting it up. There's a friend and I, which we may like to play some on the bus - and I'm looking for a solution that allows me to hold the game itself, and have a USB-gamepad or bluetooth-gamepad that she can use. I was guessing the game pads I have would work (an SNES usb-one, and a PS2-like gamepad) but neither would be recognized by the system. Is there a game pad, in existence, that would work for this? Maybe I need to do something from the OS level to get it to recognize.

Thanks

I'd suggest an iControlpad if the games you are playing have mappable controls.

- Neelix

If you are using a USB 1.0 device, then you have to plug that into a USB 2.0 hub.

Not all emulators recognize external controls IIRC, PicoDrive is a good one to test with, PanMAME offers some pretty good support now too, PSX too. I know there's more, but I'm just getting into using my Pandora with a USB controller as well.

Still haven't had time to try the ICP with it as I was having some issues getting the ICP to work with the Pandora. USB didn't give me much of an issue, but the ICP and its various modes caused me mental anguish. It would be nice if the ICP had a Pandora mode, but nobody entered that into the competition.

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it

So in regard to the kernel crashing - that's a big one, thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I tested some control pads this morning, and haven't restarted the pandora yet.

The ICP sounds like a good solution, actually. Less cables means less I have to carry and less to cause problems while gaming. We're just going to start trying with games we can hand the pandora back and forth for now, then eventually it'd be nice to move into more arcade-like games. That can be difficult to play, though.

One controller did kinda work..as in, dmesg didn't show anything bad and the controller actually lit up. The apps I was using didn't recognize it, but could be the kernel-crashing issue, so I'll restart the pandora later and give it a try.

seriously though, try with a usb2 hub. any usb controller should work without much of a hitch

I'd like to know if anybody is using an official Dualshock 1 with PCSX ReARMed and if we can play with the nubs?

If so, what kind of ps1-to-usb-adapter are you using ?

Thanks

If the game supports dual shock controls, you can use the Pandora's nubs.

No, i want to get ready and have everything needed to play when i get the tv-out cable.

So i can play on my tv, pandora's next to tv (with a small cable anyway it can't be far away) and me lying on my couch facing the tv with real control in hands

Ah, thought that was what you meant by nubs, but if you can find an adapter that lets you use a PS1 joypad on USB, I would imagine that (so long as you also use it via a USB hub) it would work. There are lots of clones of the PS1/2 joypad that are USB, it'd probably be easier if not cheaper to find one of those these days, and they would work.

Does anyone know if there is a game controller out there that will work with Panda...and also employs A REAL JOYSTICK??

I'd kill for that.

I love playing Pac=Man and stuff, but I am just SO MUCH BETTER with a real joystick.  Ya know, where you can get your whole arm into it and stuff?

One of these days, I am gonna get me a REAL PacMan machine!

Does anyone know if there is a game controller out there that will work with Panda...and also employs A REAL JOYSTICK??

I'd kill for that.

I love playing Pac=Man and stuff, but I am just SO MUCH BETTER with a real joystick.  Ya know, where you can get your whole arm into it and stuff?

I suspect any regular USB arcade joystick for PC would probably work.

Could always buy an ipac and build controls yourself. That way you could even build a 2 player arcade stick setup, use with Pandora and tv out.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

ost USB game pads are USB1.1 devices, Since the Pandora's regular USB connector is USB 2.0 High Speed only, You will need to use a real USB 2.0 compliant Hub for it to handle the USB 1.1 devices properly.Also if you connect a non-USB 2.0 device into the Pandora directly without a HUB it will crash the USB kernel module, you will need to shut down the Pandora and restart for it to recognize USB devices again.
I am using the latest OS, and a mere sequential triggering of disable/enable USB host was enough, no restart necessary.

ost USB game pads are USB1.1 devices, Since the Pandora's regular USB connector is USB 2.0 High Speed only, You will need to use a real USB 2.0 compliant Hub for it to handle the USB 1.1 devices properly.Also if you connect a non-USB 2.0 device into the Pandora directly without a HUB it will crash the USB kernel module, you will need to shut down the Pandora and restart for it to recognize USB devices again.
I am using the latest OS, and a mere sequential triggering of disable/enable USB host was enough, no restart necessary.
I did write that over a year ago and before that feature was available ...

Last edited by a moderator:
^ 1) I had misread the post date as being from April 2013.

2) And it was intended as a hint for readers encountering USB issues:

No restart necessary, short toggling enough —> Time saved, usability increased! —> Pandora users happy :)

I'd kill for that.

kinda big but right here they used to have just a 1 player one half the size

I got a challenge pro USB joystick a couple years ago. Good microswitched control, though it's a bit of a shame (though accurate) that both the fire buttons respond as the same button, if you know what I mean. Not tried it on my Pandora yet, though I should do (and also try my USB->PS2 adaptor to see if PSX-rearmed supports analogue mode via it). Just have to sort out a compact hub first.

Back