What Sdl Libraries Are Available?

CyruzDraxs

For simplicity, my engine is relying on several SDL libraries right now, but I'm not sure which ones might actually be available. Currently I'm making use of SDL_image, SDL_ttf, SDL_mixer, SDL_ffmpeg and SDL_net.

Would I be right to assume that SDL_ffmpeg is probably the only one I'll have a problem with?

What about other SDL libraries? It'd be good to know what is and isn't available to us.

I'm working under the assumption that if an SDL library doesn't exist, I'll be able to compile it once I have a Pandora in hand, but it would be good to know if that assumption is incorrect. Add SDL_gfx and/or SpriG to that list for my program

I'm just thinking it would be inconvenient if everyone had to compile their own binaries for it. Will there be public binaries made available somewhere?

I figured SDL_ffmpeg might be a problem because it's a fairly large library, so it might take quite a bit of sorting to find any issues that might arise from trying to cross-compile it. I'd rather not have to interface with avcodec directly.

An SDL library does exist. For the most part all the other SDL libs (i.e TTF, GFX, Mixer) depend on SDL base, so most of the specific hw changes have to be made to SDL.

Im sure when the time is right a lib pack will become available to the public. Unless you have the hw it doesnt really matter.

SDL_prim

shoudl also work i take it
sortof basic dont you think

Pickle said:
An SDL library does exist. For the most part all the other SDL libs (i.e TTF, GFX, Mixer) depend on SDL base, so most of the specific hw changes have to be made to SDL.
Yep. Now, some of them could benefit from 2D/3D accel that'll be present with using SDL 1.3 (There's a hint in that, there, gang... ;)) but they'll work largely out of box without the needed modding for that sort of support.

Im sure when the time is right a lib pack will become available to the public. Unless you have the hw it doesnt really matter.

You'd be right in that. Right now a basic unaccelerated version is available out of the current firmware builds. Having said that- all the speed tests you've seen have been done with that version. :D There's at least one party working on bringing SDL 1.3 SVN over. You may need to re-work your code a bit to use it, but it'll be worth it. With 1.3, you get OpenGL/OpenGL ES acceleration for your 2D code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back