What Libraries Will Be Included In The Core Os?

jlepley

I've heard that most common libraries will be included out-of-the-box on the core OS in order to simplify programming. I'm already certain that SDL and OpenGL ES will be included, and I've heard that Qt will as well, but I'm curious about specifically what other libraries the Pandora will come with. I'm mostly curious about Irrlicht and Audiere, but this newbie would appreciate a full list if anybody is willing to provide it.

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but I did search for similar topics and didn't find any.

I don't think Irrlicht will be on there since it's just a graphics engine and not a lot of games are necessarily going to need it.
They've mentioned PulseAudio for sound, and I hope they have OpenAL as well, and either GStreamer or Phonon or both for a media library.

But I don't officially know. Those would just be REALLY nice to have.

I think the decision about what to include is a very important one .. it will make life a lot easier for developers if a good suite of libraries is available by default factory installation, and I really hope that the Open2X crew get on top of this and select a very well-rounded body of libs for us to code on. The degree of library support from the factory definitely has an impact on the longevity and activity of development for the platform, no question about it .. so lets hope this does not get minimized.

I asked this exact same question some time ago.... Let's hope that this topic gets more attention.

lulzfish said:
and I hope they have OpenAL as well
OpenAL is just a frontend to ALSA, GStreamer, Pulse etc so I think it'll be available.

lulzfish said:
and either GStreamer or Phonon or both for a media library.
You mean GStreamer and XINE, right? Or just GStreamer, with Phonon on top (Which would be a better setup anyways)? Maybe you should read up on what an audio backend, an audio server, a driver backend and an audio frontend is, just sayin'...

torpor said:
I think the decision about what to include is a very important one .. it will make life a lot easier for developers if a good suite of libraries is available by default factory installation, and I really hope that the Open2X crew get on top of this and select a very well-rounded body of libs for us to code on. The degree of library support from the factory definitely has an impact on the longevity and activity of development for the platform, no question about it .. so lets hope this does not get minimized.
+1

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, dflemstr, I am quite aware that Phonon uses GStreamer or xine as a backend on Linux. I'm not an idiot.
But GStreamer doesn't seem to be easy to work with, so if the Pandora had GStreamer AND Phonon (that used GStreamer, possibly), that would be great.

I'm also aware that OpenAL works above the sound server, but again, it would be nice to have it installed.

I don't know about it specifically making it easier for most developers, but for PMD's and what you would need to package up with it, it would make a big difference. So it would be nice to know, but don't let that stop you from developing. :) What sort of development do you want to do? If it's with Irrlicht then you will probably be good to go.
Irrlicht is a full blown engine and not a library as such, so it's a bit like saying will the quake engine be in the default OS, sure it would be nice, just not really appropriate.
Either way, you'll still be able to use it.

lulzfish said:
Yes, dflemstr, I am quite aware that Phonon uses GStreamer or xine as a backend on Linux. I'm not an idiot.
But GStreamer doesn't seem to be easy to work with, so if the Pandora had GStreamer AND Phonon (that used GStreamer, possibly), that would be great.

I'm also aware that OpenAL works above the sound server, but again, it would be nice to have it installed.
But now you confuse me again... You say that either GStreamer or XINE should be present (and there'd always be ALSA if both of those were missing), but then you say that there should be OpenAL as well, as if it was some separate library? What am I missing?

Anyways, I think that there should be as many different libraries available for as many different programming languages as possible. I mean, it would be great to have a Haskell platform, and the prelude libs are extremely tiny so I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to have one. And I could go on and on about Java support, JOGL native libraries, Qt OpenGL support etc...

[quote name='dflemstr' date='28 October 2009 - 12:27 PM' timestamp='1256732869']
Anyways, I think that there should be as many different libraries available for as many different programming languages as possible. I mean, it would be great to have a Haskell platform, and the prelude libs are extremely tiny so I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to have one. And I could go on and on about Java support, JOGL native libraries, Qt OpenGL support etc...
[/quote]
I'm curious what you mean, having say a Java JVM on there, or do you mean the whole JDK?

Na-Noo said:
[quote name='dflemstr' date='28 October 2009 - 12:27 PM' timestamp='1256732869']
I'm curious what you mean, having say a Java JVM on there, or do you mean the whole JDK?
[/quote]
Just a JRE + JVM... I won't want to actually develop anything on the Pandora. And you don't actually need a JDK to develop anything for the JVM any longer; just use javac/gcj directly or develop using Scala with scalac and fsc etc.

dflemstr said:
Na-Noo said:
Just a JRE + JVM... I won't want to actually develop anything on the Pandora. And you don't actually need a JDK to develop anything for the JVM any longer; just use javac/gcj directly or develop using Scala with scalac and fsc etc.

Cool, wasn't sure if that's what you meant or not.

Back