What Is The Diffrence Between The 1 And 2 Versions

hey i am new to this form and i was what is the diffrence between the 1 and 2 versions of the gp2x. is there any plans for a version 3??

There isn't any 1, 2 or 3 version of gp2x. There is the "first edition" but its only difference from actual one is that print on its case. Why it was in the first place then? I don't know for sure but probably to give something to early adopters to brag about. The second reason is an excuse for GameParkHoldings as the firmware at the start wasn't exactly bug free.

Hardware wise there weren't any changes. (at least not significant)

Perhaps in future GPH will do another revision but what it will be, when or how much it will cost is an unknow. (and I don't want go into speculations)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, no, no... surely our First Edition units are vastly superior to the later ones, I mean they have "First Edition" printed on them! What other evidence does one need? I NEED to believe I suffered through the first firmware version for a reason other than mere white letters printed on the front... don't take away our specialness!

its not strictly true that there aren't any differences between "first edition" and subsequent GP2X's ..

i've got one of the "First Edition" badged gp2x's, and a more recent one, and the newer one doesn't have the 'screen wobbles' that the first one has if you get a bit overzealous with the joystick .. also the screen quality seems to have improved a bit.

the wobble happened on the first edition gp2x's because the screen was too tightly bound to the PCB, and any slight curve your joystick move would make in the PCB would transfer to the LCD .. the same sort of effect you get if you poke an LCD with your finger ..

the wobble happened on the first edition gp2x's because the screen was too tightly bound to the PCB, and any slight curve your joystick move would make in the PCB would transfer to the LCD .. the same sort of effect you get if you poke an LCD with your finger ..

Yes. I should tell about it as I got it too. The problem was too big layer of rubber on the chipset what was pushing lcd panel from the back. The newer units don't have any rubber apparently. I fixed it quickly by removing some of it and my gp2x works the same as before except the "wobble" is gone. So it was useless really and made only problems.

That is another puzzling thing what GameParkHolding did... (why it was here in the first place?)

Anyway functionally there weren't any changes after "first edition".

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a first edition and don't have a "wobble", my joystick (as crappy as it is - we all know this) never affects my screen; what I DO get, however, is scanlines every now and then but I'm pretty sure that's my batteries problem... I really need some good quality rechargables.

The green power light is a little bit futher back on some first editions.

No great affect on performance though! ;)

Will newly manufactured units come with newer firmware out of the box? I plan on getting a unit in March and I am hoping it will already have newer firmware to begin with.

I have a first edition and it's one of the early ones too. there's no "screen wobble" on mine from pushing the stick. The only issue i currently have is the scanline thing, I'm still on FW 1.2.

Back