What Is The Buit-in Really?

Akuma no Houkon

Certified Guru
Website
akuma.gp32news.com
Ok, just getting my GP2x in the mail, I plugged it into my USB port, wiped the built in games, and started putting files there for my initial foray into GP2x dev. One of my folders, however, is corrupt.

In Linux, the folder wont show up, and write access to the built in storage in disabled.

In Windows, the folder will show up, but wont let you enter, rename, move, or delete it.

My question then, what exactly is this memory, and can I wipe/reformat it? If so is there a special way? Or Special file system?

I cannot get a decent SD card until Friday, so using the built-in is my only chance to get working this week, any ideas?

I agree with Shadowsithe, you should downgrade the firmware to 2.0.0 then upgrade to 2.1.1 :) The 3.0.0 firmware is an absolute joke, it basically stops you getting access to your NAND, while filling what little NAND you have with demos and worthless "help" videos. I did it to my system within about 3days of getting it and i've never looked back.

Akuma no Houkon said:
What is the NAND? Is it dangerous to use it frequently as a filesystem?
The NAND is the GP2X's internal memory, and yes, it's dangerous to use it regularly. I'd get an SD card (if you haven't already) and use that exclusively :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not that you "shouldn't" use it, thr NAND is a flash memory, just like any SD card, but the problem is that it also shares the following property with it: Writes are limited! if your SD card failed after lets say 10,000 writes, it can be replaced, while the NAND cant be replaced simple because it is a chip that is soldered to your 2X's board.

I would advice you to wait until your card arrive and use the time to prepare all your emulators, roms, homebrew, and applications ready in folders to copy them to the card once it arrived.

If you were desperate, you can use an SD card from a mobile phone to downgrade to 2.0 and then upgrade to 2.1.1 so you can use the NAND, but if you already have a card you an use it insted of the NAND. Keep in mind that the whole NAND is just 64 MB, and some of it will bealready filled with whatever firmware you will have on it.

BTW, congrats on your 2X, can't wait to see some of your older games or newer ones published for it :)

sehs33 said:
It is not that you "shouldn't" use it, thr NAND is a flash memory, just like any SD card, but the problem is that it also shares the following property with it: Writes are limited! if your SD card failed after lets say 10,000 writes, it can be replaced, while the NAND cant be replaced simple because it is a chip that is soldered to your 2X's board.
Not only that, but apparently the NAND driver is pretty flaky, and prone to marking blocks that aren't bad as bad. Best just to leave it alone IMO :)

it's flash memory where the firmware is stored. and the firmware needs to be stored there, so you don't want to corrupt the contents of the NAND without a JTAG cable to flash it, and if you corrupt the physical memory itself then you're going to need a new NAND chip and a good magnifying glass.

edit: where was the gp32 firmware stored? it couldn't have been on the card...?

edit2: had the page open for a long time (at work), didn't realize many people had beaten me to it. ah well.

Alex. said:
Didn't the GP32 have 512kb of ROM for the firmware?
yeah I believe so.

And about the NAND, its not that its gonna brake after you just copy a few games, its got like 100.000 write cycles so its stupid to say its "dangerous"...

(you can format the nand in the settings menu, in case you didn't know)

Alex. said:
Didn't the GP32 have 512kb of ROM for the firmware?
Not ROM, as it was software upgradeable.

The only reason the NAND on the gp2x is dangerous is because GPH were stupid - ignored the manufacturers usage instructions and gave each gp2x's an exact copy of the same nand oob. The oob is where the bad block information is stored and is always filled in by the manufacturer so the file system knows which blocks to avoid. I could ramble on here about how easy is it to brick your 2x this way, but I'll probably only get someone contradicting me saying they've never had a problem/etc, so I'll just leave you with a warning and let you make your own decisions.

Squidge, great to see you're still among us. So I take that to mean that the "bad sector" information is copied, rather than created, across all GP2X's? Does it ever get updated / rescanned?

That just sounds silly.

David Beoulve said:
Squidge, great to see you're still among us. So I take that to mean that the "bad sector" information is copied, rather than created, across all GP2X's? Does it ever get updated / rescanned?

That just sounds silly.

Off topic, but David-was that your review of Etrian Odyssey I just read on gamespot? About to play it for the first time due to your excellent review...(if it was you!)

David Beoulve said:

That just sounds silly.
It can't get 'rescanned' reliably, though it does try and mark blocks as it comes across bad ones which is part of the problem - it is terrible for marking blocks incorrectly.

Back