What is best: DiVX or XViD?

XviD gives better quality than Divx at the same bitrate, and prctically all divx players can play xvid. So, my vote goes to XviD.

XVID for me, is the same quality but smaller. It is the best, but it doesn't always work in gpcinema for me.

Depends:

They both share code. Divx 5.05 and Xvid are pretty much head to head at the moment, biggest problem is, is that Xvid is actually illegal in binary form in several countries as it violates software patents (which are stupid). Source code is distributable though.

Also, they are not really intercompatible. You can compress an xvid so it runs on earlier versions of Divx, but the quality isnt as good as a full xvid encode. Xvid can run Divx 5.05 movies, but the decoder isnt built for that, so again there is quality loss.

I personally use ffdshow for every MPEG4 based codec except for divx 3.11a, which I use the original binaries for. I encode in xvid OGG.

As for GP32 encoding, I find that Divx 4 gives better quality for some reason. I just cant seem to get the settings right for xvid.

i prefer divx 4.12.

When i code the same file in xvid and div x the xvid is smaller BUT the quality is very bad. i.e one will be 100mb the other 70 mb but the 70 mb will be very poor.

I usually code in 256bit

I dont know how to get the xvid size to 100mb so that i can then compare quality of film with same size files.

Phil posted on Sep 6 2003 at 02:13 PM said:
how the bloody hell do i get virtual dub to use xvid???!!!
XviD MPEG-4 Codec.

if you dont have it, get koepis build from entware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back