What Exactly do I get

Rainman

Still Fresh
Ok people,
I hope you can help me. :)

So , what exactly comes with a gp32 when you order one from say........gbax.com?

Does it come with all the stuff I need to start putting emus on there and movies and such, or do I need to buy additional stuff?

That's pretty much all I need to know, thanks

it should come with the system a manual and a usb cable to copy games onto it. You will need to go to the gp32 site and register the system then you will beabelt to download the usb drivers and authentication program to set it up and the pc-link software to copy programs to it. As wll you will want to download freelauncher which gives you a menue to launch emulators from. All of that is available free to download from the offical site. Aside from that you will need a smart memory card. Beleave me you will want to get one 128meg card its large enough to fit all you will need on but you won't want anything smaller or you will kick yourself later for it. Oh yeah you will also need batteries. Smart memory cards can be found for like $35 bucks us on pricewatch.com that includes shipping. Check the link if you have any questions about the software and drivers you will need.

http://207.44.176.77/~admin28/gp32emu/faq/...q/settingup.htm

Sorry I'm new to this, please explain why I need a smart media card?
It comes with a usb cable for copying games onto it, so what is the smc for? Just for use like a hard disk? So I don't have to keep connection my gp32 to my pc?

Also, does the gp32 come with all the stuff that I need to write onto a smc or do I have to pay more money to get a writer that will work for it too?!

thanks again

You can't copy files on to a gp32, you can only copy files on to a smart media card, and put the smc in your gp32. If you don't have a smc writer, they you can just put the smc into the gp32 and plug in the gp32 with the usb cable, allowing you to copy files like that, but if you do it that way, you have to have your gp32 on, so that wastes batteries, and it takes longer then using a smc writer.

Hello Rainman

The SMC is as you guessed similar to a Hard disk.

Files are copied by use of a program thats freely downloaded called Pc-Link, this uses the USB cable to link the GP32 to the PC.

There are also a couple of other programs that act similar to Windows Explorer that allow you to drag 'n' drop files onto the GP32's SMC card, the GP32 has to be in link mode at this point.

The GP32 has 4 modes

1 - Commercial game - which is stored on a SMC card (an individual one not the one with yor MP3's, demo, DivX files, ROMS, etc on - Well until JoyGP is opened anyway), I have none of these but I am led to believe that if this sort of SMC is inserted the game will autoboot

2 - Free launcher - Allows you to play the Emulators, Demo, Utilities etc

3 - MP3 player - The built in MP3 player starts - There are / Is other MP3 players available, which you'd launch through the Free Launcher mode

4 - PC link mode.

for 2, 3, 4 the graphics displayed match the mode very well

I hope this helps - Get a GP32, and if you do get stuck, just post on here most everyone is very friendly and very helpful, in fact a great bunch overall

Cheers

MrT

oh and if you order from gabx.com you get a CD full of goodies, including lots of emus and a few applications

I ordered from gbax.com last night

What kinda of emus and apps come on that cd you speak of?

Probably this lot and perhaps more besides!!!

arcadix.fxe columns_v0.03.zip
craigs8080emu.zip gptetrisfinal.zip
PlusIVe-gp32-v002b.zip sarien-gp32-v03.zip
geepee32_public_24.zip super_plusha_megagp_demo.zip
GPVGB011.fxe pmdoom.fxe
fMSXbeta.fxe Dottdemo.zip
fNESbeta.fxe scummvm.fxe
infones.fxe PinballDreams.fxe
pcegpb2.zip xrick.fxe
snes.fxe GP32Wolf3D_Beta-FXEs-with-PCSpeaker-sound_04-11-02.zip
snes9xgp.fxe GP32_Shareware-Wolfensetin3D_and_Demo-SOD_data_files.zip
sms32.fxe GP32_virtualdub_settings.zip
GPSPECCYV005.ZIP GPDivx.fxe
wb32v052.zip modplay.fxe
AppleStriker-FreeLauncher.zip MPGP.fxe
Blegol.zip sidplay.fxe

Cheers

MrT

Quick Question,
Does it matter if I order one 128mb card or two 64mb cards?
Or is it irrelevant

well the GP32 can only accept one card at once, so you could have one 64MB card with say your mp3's on and another with games/emus/applications/roms on. BUT the cost of increasing a 64MB to a 128MB card is small, smaller than buying two 64MB's, I'd go for ne 128MB and another 128MB when you can afford it, o the two together if you can, as long as they are 3.3Volts, which the majority are

Hope this helps

MrT

Back