What do you want to see from Dale Studios?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Dale8998

Still Fresh
Yep, it's official: I'm making an indie studio. I have two concepts going up: AGE OF WAR for PC and Linux (and eventually Pyra, by the will of God), an RTS game similar to Age of Empires and Civilization, but with lots of new features and a huge amount of civilizations. and Teenage Nerd Dating Sim, where you play the role of a nerdy teen (just like me or possibly even you) trying to get a girlfriend while surviving high school. Which would you prefer?

It [Teenage Nerd Dating Sim] pretty much would be similar to Crush Crush, only that you get a job later in the game.
[doublepost=1467142126,1467142021][/doublepost]Pretty much almost nothing, I've programmed a few batch games, and I'm planning on learning C++ and Unreal Engine. AGE OF WAR would essentially be Linux version with controller support and all DLC.

Last edited:
Well, it certainly sounds interesting. Supposedly Unreal Engine can package executables for ARM Linux, so why the heck not?

Edit: However, according to this, GL vs GLES could be an issue for Unreal.

I don't want to be discouraging, but it's a long road to go from simple batch games to a multi-OS RTS game written in C++. Maybe you should start with a project that's a bit more simple and then, after a few years, think again about which of these two HUGE projects that even take a single well-trained programmer and designer multiple years you want to start, maybe you get a third idea in the meantime that you like even better.

RTS game similar to Age of Empires and Civilization
Civilisation is not a RealTime Strategy game, so I hope that just wasn't the part you're inspired by and your text is just a little misleading.

Last edited:
If those are our options, I guess rAGE OF gWAR since I don't have any better suggestions.

I'd rather like to see a really well made platformer or racing game than something that is more complicated and badly executed due to lack of experience and teammates
and what I really miss is something like Quarth (with local multiplayer), does anybody remember it?

Last edited:
I voted "Neither" because I think you should focus your efforts on a much smaller scale game. Don't use a game engine, just learn how to program a game from scratch. Start with a 2D run-'n'-gun or something along those lines (of course, working up to it), then progress onward to the realm of 3D graphics if you're up for it. This will take years, not months. Of course, I'm assuming that this is a one-man-band type of thing. If you have a solid business plan and are hiring people to build the game, then you may disregard my comments.

I have another idea: why not an emulator!?
From Extremely High-Level to Extremely Low-Level?
Well i don't know an System that hasn't an Emulator yet && is within reach of an Beginner. Go and Read "Programming the Z80" from Rodnay Zaks, that's how I learned about low-level Stuff. Then program maybe an Gameboy Emulator (which is well Documented).

Last edited:
I like this.

A very low resolution age of war game would be fun. Not total res, just detail.

These types of games didn't get better once detail went up, it just makes it more difficult to keep track of things. Looking at it from a gameplay and competitive angle.

Would be easier to recommend if i knew what your style was , or with a more in-depth explanation.

Neither because you probably have very little exposure to the languages if you're asking.

Start small. Work your way up

Voted for the dating sim because I'm not a huge fan of RTS games. And the setting sounds like a great opportunity for funny and awkward conversations xD Also, dating sims usually don't need the kind of balancing, amount of assets and artificial intelligence that an RTS has to have so it seems like a good place to start.

FYI, if you want to learn Unreal Engine 4, be prepared to run into the most interesting and weird bugs you've ever seen. The quirky Goat Simulator physics are the smallest problem of that engine :/ Oh, and the official coding tutorials are outdated, so you'll have to guess what the correct code should be like (don't go looking for the documentation, it's either empty, incomplete or outdated too). The blueprint system ("visual coding") works like a charm though :)

definitely start small, as others mentioned.

if you're interested in the bitbox, you can learn to program some simple games in C, which might be somewhat simpler than C++ right off the bat. (though i wouldn't recommend using my palette16tile mode to start from, you can look at some other bitbox games. makapuf's games tend to be simpler than mine, though all my prototype view modes are "simple" though not really games.) you can develop games even without the bitbox, since it can run as an emulator on your computer.

Yes, start small. That's why I asked what you've done before. Take a really simple game like Pong, put your own spin on it and try to polish the crap out of it. If you can do that, do something a bit bigger. This is the best way to learn the true amount of time and work that goes into games and as such let you pick projects that fit the scope of your team (or just you).

This is also a good read

Back