What Are The Advantages Of Using Win2X Alternative Frontend

Orion4874

Mega GP Mania
I havn't tried this yet so I wanted to ask those of you that did. What are the advantages of it over the default? Should I install it now or wait for another update or two? Complicated install/risk of brick?

Thanks in Advance!

There is an option just to try it out - just run win2x.gpe instead of install.gpe.

Yeah, installation is not required, so I must say, give it a shot.

I like the Win2x frontend for its simplicity. You can create icons within sub-categories and create shortcuts to said icons right on the desktop. So when you turn on your Wiz, the first thing you see is your wallpaper (as you would on a PC) followed by icons for whatever you like. I keep my most used emulators right on top so its real quick and easy to start playing things.

Also, installing is really easy. Just run the install.gpe and you're done. A few people have run into issues with this but if for whatever reason it doesn't work everyone I've read so far was able to fully restore their system using the standard firmware update software provided by GPH. So I wouldn't worry about bricking.

MiOdd said:
Yeah, installation is not required, so I must say, give it a shot.

I like the Win2x frontend for its simplicity. You can create icons within sub-categories and create shortcuts to said icons right on the desktop. So when you turn on your Wiz, the first thing you see is your wallpaper (as you would on a PC) followed by icons for whatever you like. I keep my most used emulators right on top so its real quick and easy to start playing things.

Also, installing is really easy. Just run the install.gpe and you're done. A few people have run into issues with this but if for whatever reason it doesn't work everyone I've read so far was able to fully restore their system using the standard firmware update software provided by GPH. So I wouldn't worry about bricking.

How hard is it to make shortcuts for your emulators using Win2X? The reason I ask is because I finally have all my shortcuts for my emulators but would love the wallpaper option. Are there instructions for making shortcuts, etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
Javy3, I highly recommend you just download and see for yourself, there is no risk in trying it. It is easy enough though. You don't have to bother with any .ini files you can make everything right from the frontend. You press a button and it give you a file browser you select the .gpe that you want and it will automatically create the shortcut for you and use the .png icon if its the same name as the .gpe file. So for example, if you create a shortcut for Animatch.gpe and you already have Animatch.png in the same location the frontend will automatically use that .png for the icon image. You can then after its created edit the shortcut name and properties and things of that nature all from the frontend. It's nice.

Back