Well, I Bricked It.

atomicthumbs

I am the king of the collectors, with hospital bed
Website
printeronfire.org
Somehow, even though the batteries were full and everything seemed to go without a hitch, I bricked my venerable old F100 Mark I GP2X while trying to reinstall 2.1.2.

I installed it, it refused to load, and so I reinstalled 2.1.2. It rebooted into the default orange theme. I turned it off, and it didn't boot again.

Somehow my bootloader was magically overwritten.

My question: does anybody in the United States have a JTAG cable they don't need anymore? I can pay you for shipping, and for the cable if you like.

Please! I can't stand another day without my music and emulation and Sqdef!

Edit:

Or, if you're willing to part with an F100, that's fine too. :p

Have you tried to update/reflash boot image after you bricked it? (by placing single image of bootloader on SD) Your nand could be corrupted and you can try to reflash one or more times.

No dice. It's not the kernel that's bricked, it's the uboot. It just shows white/rainbow lines no matter how charged it is.

:<

euro48k said:
your "back to 2.1.2" was due open2x usb-connect issue ?
i presume ..
hope you'll fix the gp2x
good luck
My "back to 2.1.2" was due to Open2X's refusal to get past "Mount Root FS".

The installer never showed after flashing the new kernel, for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
All you need for the JTAG cable is a straight-through male-to-male 25-pin cable which is available very cheap off ebay. Get yourself a DC adapter as well :)

Senor Quack said:
All you need for the JTAG cable is a straight-through male-to-male 25-pin cable which is available very cheap off ebay. Get yourself a DC adapter as well :)

... and a cradle or BOB. And a serial cable is usefull when you want feedback on the process.
You could also create your own cable. Some Samsung cell phone connectors fit the EXT port. More information is in the wiki.

I'm thinking maybe you have a few too many bad NAND blocks, no?

This would cause the error in Open2x, yes?

Just guessing.. I havent actually tried open2x yet. My GP2X is in pieces waiting for me to try soldering to the left directional on the middle layer of the PCB :S

aaron11193 said:

Just guessing.. I havent actually tried open2x yet. My GP2X is in pieces waiting for me to try soldering to the left directional on the middle layer of the PCB :S
I was thinking that it had trouble mounting the root file system because there was no root file system because the installer never ran.

atomicthumbs said:
aaron11193 said:

I was thinking that it had trouble mounting the root file system because there was no root file system because the installer never ran.

My bad, I thought the 'Mounting Root FS' was part of booting into Open2x, not installing it :S

aaron11193 said:
My bad, I thought the 'Mounting Root FS' was part of booting into Open2x, not installing it :S
It was. The firmware didn't install and it tried booting off the root filesystem, which wasn't there. :p

atomicthumbs said:
aaron11193 said:
It was. The firmware didn't install and it tried booting off the root filesystem, which wasn't there. :p

But... if it tried to boot, there's a bootloader...?

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
atomicthumbs said:
aaron11193 said:

:eek: :eek: :eek: It's a conspiracy!

EvilDragon said:
That's what confuses me. I tried flashing Open2X twice, reflashed 2.1.2, and booted 2.1.2. Seeing that familiar orange menu screen, I turned it off, and it never worked again. :(

Good luck with it... if you happen to have the tv-out cable, you could canibalize that. Don't know about the second revisions of them, but my first release cable came with a full set of pins just waiting to be soldered to.

Back