GP2X Watch Satellite Tv On A Gp2x!

TJHooker

Still Fresh
Hello just another noob here. I came here after finding that most other GP2X community's are pretty much dead. I bought a GP2X F100 recently because I am interested in enhancing the hardware, and writing ARM exclusive device drivers for it. I mainly just want to upgrade the ARM cores to newer versions that are supported by other kernels, and have better clock speeds and bigger memory interfaces. I'll probably not do it anytime soon because time constraints that come with working, and going to school though(big surprise ehh..)

Not sure how many people will be interested in this, so take it as you wish.

A company called YUAN manufactures USB MPEG2 peripherals that have an array of features. If you're Telcom savvy, or a genuine geek you know MPEG2 is very populer with Satellite Television providers. More importantly subscription free service like FreeToAir uses the standard.

A simple setup would be the unit attached to the USB with the BOB depending on the GP2X version(according to the wiki.) The device in turn would be connected to a dish with a LNB. There's probably more to it, but that's a typical setup for basic functions. The one I purchased from them though has most of the stuff integrated.

I know the latest kernel release for the GP2X has a fairly big video codec API, so at most you'd have to crack open the device case, and write a driver for the chip interface.

http://www.yuan.com.tw/en/products/smartvdo4.html

NOTE:There are a lot of cool ASICs out there that have every thing from radio receivers to 802.11 frame automation. So you could with very little time, and effort integrate features into the GP2X BUS, and upgrade to a NiMH package like I have to handle power.

Also didn't the GP2X schematics use to be published on the website about a year ago?

If you want to enhance the firmware you should help these guys: The Open2x Project.

The schematics were never published but you can get the technical docs for the embedded MMSP2 chipset at wiki.gp2x.org

This satellite TV idea is making me think of this device that Dish Network sells that plays recorded shows copied from a Dish reciever. I think it used DivX. Also, hardware-wise its pretty much the same as a GP2X.

It could be possible to do the same thing with a hacked set-top box.

Back