Wanted: Gameboy (not Gbc/gba)

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Anyone out there want to sell me a Gameboy? I'm preferably after the original, full size unit, rather than the more modern ones. I'm after the mono version, not the color or the advance.

Let me know if you have one, and if so, how much you'd like for it. No games are required, but it should be in working order.

I just have the Pocket Version... but Ebay will have the big one cheap probably :D

i've got a black one, thick, big. i was planning to do that 'game-grrl'-esque project (jamming the Power Player III with a Hip Gear TFT screen into it), until i got a gamepark.

If you didnt already get one I always see them at Car Boot sales and people virtually give them away!

well, I have 2 gameboys... one original that's grey, and one "play it loud" series gameboy that's yellow with really dark purple buttons. Trouble is...the grey one's screen is screwed up; there's at least 1 liine going thru it, and I got bored and melted off the part that covers up the game cartridge on the yellow one, so I don't think you'd want either one of them. I'd have no trouble parting with the grey one, but I don't think you want it. It's also missing the screen protector thing(that grey border thingy that says "dot matrix with stereo sound" or whatever the hell it is, I can't remember). If you want though, I can have my dad try to find one at an auction he goes to all the time. He just found a box with some random crap and an SNES that works perfectly with 3 controllers for 50 cents(the whole box was 50 cents, meaning the SNES actually cost about 10 cents, if even that). He finds SNES's and NES's there all the time, I'm sure he could find a gameboy too. I already have him looking for a GBA, Gamegear, Genesis, and Nomad for me anyway. Just let me know, and I'll have him looking for a regular gameboy too. Depending on how cheap he can get one, I can sell it for like 5 bucks most likely, maybe even less than that.

*EDIT*

Okay, make that about 7 lines going thru the screen of the grey one... I have no idea what the hell happened to it.

I have an original gameboy in yellow i'd probably sell you, i'll have to check if it works though.

lol
seems like you happend to it xD

i got bored and burned it up xD how could you !

I didn't happen to the grey Gameboy, I only took that apart once to see what it looked like inside, and it had the lines before that... I just didn't think it had as many as it does. I melted off part of the yellow one, not the grey one.

Well, it wasn't just the boredom that caused me to do it(it still works perfectly fine, by the way, it's just that now the game cartridges are exposed when there's one in the system), but the boredom led to me melting that part off. See, I was bored, and I wanted to open my Gameboy, partially to gut it and then clean the case, and also partially to explore just to see if there were any differences between it and the grey gameboy I already opened before... When I went to open it, I was shocked to see screws that looked like phillips head screws, except with 3... "gashes?" instead of 4. that pissed me off, and someone suggested trying to melt a screwdriver/pen partially and then jam it in there and make it so I could use that screwdriver to open it... that didn't work, as you can imagine(I only have a woodburning kit, couldn't find my brother's soldering iron... bah!), and I ended up trying to change the screws... which melted part of the plastic around the screws... Don't ask me why the hell I thought that would work because I couldn't tell you... then i was like... "hey, I think I'll melt off the part that covers up the cartridge!"

I'd post a picture of it, but the damn digital camera's broken, and I don't have any pictures of it saved on my computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, No, I didn't melt anything on the camera too, I don't know what's wrong with it. It fell from like 2 feet, and now something is rattling inside of it... if a 2 foot fall broke something, that doesn't make sense... because it's been dropped from like 6 feet before without a problem. I don't know what's loose. I haven't had a chance to look inside of it yet, but I hope it's not something that can't be fixed.

Anyway... Squidge, just out of curiosity, why exactly do you want a gameboy anyway?

out of curiosity, what kind of systems can your dad get at auction and at what costs. I'm a collector and there's a few systems eluding me that I don't want to pay ebay prices for just yet.

lol, how can anyone melt his gameboy?

Reminds me a bit of that Friends episode, where Phibi meets her brother and she asks, "What are your hobbies?" And he says, "I like... melting." :lol: (Maybe it looses something when I translate it from german to english :D)

I don't know, it all depends on what's there. There's an auction 2 days every week at the same place, and he already found like 3 NES's for no more than a dollar each, usually in a box full of other crap as well. I have him looking for some handhelds like the gamegear, GBA/DS, and the Nomad(I highly doubt he'll find one, but I'm hoping). He got me an NES for $1, an SNES for 50 cents with a genesis game for some odd reason and 3 controllers. He also saw a bunch of other NES's there several times, but I didn't need one... and he found a Genesis at a flea market this sunday for about 10 bucks... Just let me know what you want and how much you want to pay, and I'll gladly ask him to look for it. I've decided to start collecting stuff too recently. Even though the Gamegear was never that great to me, I'd still like to at least have one, just so I can be like "hey, look at my nice collection." And hey, why the hell not? I don't really collect anything else, and Videogames have been my life since I was like 3...

LOL, it's not like I melted the whole thing, I just melted off a small piece that's about 1.75 inches by 2.5 inches. I was bored, people, and boredom makes me do a lot of stupid stuff... like throwing potatoes at passing cars... :p

Arg don`t explain that 10 times, I`m not going to read every one of your huge answers. :p

Start writing less :D

Most of that response(the first section, the one that's huge) was intended for kickinwing. Only the small part at the bottom consisting of about 3 sentences was intended for you, Quiest.

To be honest, the reason I'm looking for the very first version of the Gameboy with the grayscale screen is that I'm looking for a nice grayscale screen for use in one my projects. The screens themselves are an absolute fortune to buy seperately, but the first version of the gameboy had everything seperate, so it would be very easy to extract the screen and controller circuitry from it. Later gameboy had everything placed onto a single board, which would make it a lot more difficult.

ahh, I see. Well, I'll see if my dad can find a gameboy at an auction. If he finds one, I'll let you know.

Back