Wait The Initial Release Is Only 3000 Units

I am interested in a Pandora but when it comes down to it, I have a UMPC that has a 1.1 GHZ CPU, 512MB RAM, clamshell design, rugged and I can play full speed PS1, full speed N64, Snes, GBA, GB, CPS1/2/3, Scumm VM, Mame and many more. I can also play PC games such as GTA San Andreas, Command & Conquer, Halo, Half-Life and too many others to mention.

I can surf the internet, run MS Office, watch movies, DVD's, plug in PS2 controllers to use for games as well as wireless/wired keyboards.

There is no need to wait for N64 emulation and Snes is perfect as far as I can see. This is the problem, apart from the better battery life the Pandora offers less to me than more. Less RAM, less storage space, no possibility of X86 or any PC games. I don't know about the processing power but the 1.1 GHZ CPU of the UMPC even when clocked to 600 MHZ can run many emulators perfectly. You can also get rid of Windows XP and install Linux on it instead.

Lodis said:
I am interested in a Pandora but when it comes down to it, I have a UMPC that has a 1.1 GHZ CPU, 512MB RAM, clamshell design, rugged and I can play full speed PS1, full speed N64, Snes, GBA, GB, CPS1/2/3, Scumm VM, Mame and many more. I can also play PC games such as GTA San Andreas, Command & Conquer, Halo, Half-Life and too many others to mention.

I can surf the internet, run MS Office, watch movies, DVD's, plug in PS2 controllers to use for games as well as wireless/wired keyboards.

There is no need to wait for N64 emulation and Snes is perfect as far as I can see. This is the problem, apart from the better battery life the Pandora offers less to me than more. Less RAM, less storage space, no possibility of X86 or any PC games. I don't know about the processing power but the 1.1 GHZ CPU of the UMPC even when clocked to 600 MHZ can run many emulators perfectly. You can also get rid of Windows XP and install Linux on it instead.
This is called a laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lodis said:

So, are you saying that you're not interested in the Pandora? Or are you?

Frankly, this is a rather confusing post...

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
the only problem would be the 128mb of ram the pandora has.
other than that, it has similar processing power than this small laptop lodis is talking about.
Meh. The Nokia N800 has the same amount of RAM and I've never encountered an out-of-memory message on it. To be honest, my 128 MB virtual RAM hardly ever gets touched either.

We're talking Linux here; as long as you go easy on the eye-candy, 128 MB is plenty.

Well, im interested in Padora, becouse it's small, but it still has much power and a good batterylife. My friend told me about Pandora and I live in Finland... So it sure has some reputation already. I wonder, if anyone even knows where Finland is :D

Edit: Just some typing..

Think it might make sense for them to ask people to prepay for the initial run? I mean that way they could find out how many they need to make and make only around that many. It would help bring their initial batch costs down. Then again the initial run might also be considered beta testers, so you might want to keep that size down.

Edit: Hirolaser, the 100 dev units are just that, for developement. They should be able to iron most of the bugs, but until you get production batches, you can't see problems that occur from manufacturing itself, that and 3000 beta testers seems like a more reasonable amount of people to iron out the small bugs.

Megamixman said:
Think it might make sense for them to ask people to prepay for the initial run? I mean that way they could find out how many they need to make and make only around that many. It would help bring their initial batch costs down. Then again the initial run might also be considered beta testers, so you might want to keep that size down.

Is that not the purpose of the 100 dev units?

Karel Jansens said:
Lodis said:

So, are you saying that you're not interested in the Pandora? Or are you?

Frankly, this is a rather confusing post...

Yes, I am still interested in the Pandora because it has huge potential and a great community behind it, the Flipstart is no longer manufactured and it will have much better battery life than the Flipstart.

Ayla said:
Lodis said:

<--snip-->
This is called a laptop.

It is not a Laptop, it is much smaller (5.9” x 4.5” x 1.6”), weighs 1.5 lbs and is called the Flipstart UMPC, it has a 5.6 inches screen with a 1024 x 600 display resolution and a thumb board.

Yeah but at $700 its not only more than double and priced itself out of this market, its also big enough to not fit in your pocket and finally its discountined! So all in all not much to argue about here!

Lodis said:
Yes, I am still interested in the Pandora because it has huge potential and a great community behind it, the Flipstart is no longer manufactured and it will have much better battery life than the Flipstart.
Ooohhh, a Flipstart.

I can feel your pain... B)

The only thing the Flipstart offers over the Pandora is built-in EVDO. Sure, it's great that it runs all the standard x86 games and emulators, but without gaming controls, who would want to play them?

Even with the "slim" battery the Flipstart is 35% thicker and more than twice as heavy as the Pandora. All that extra bulk and only 1-3hrs of battery life? No thanks. If you need an ultra-portable Windows device that badly, spend the extra $50 and get the Aigo.

Hirolaser said:
Megamixman said:
Is that not the purpose of the 100 dev units?Due to the fact there is no real quantity in the dev units, they are costing much more than they are being sold for. Therefore Craigix is making a loss on every dev unit.

The original idea is that the dev units get drivers and software working, and hopefully find and squash bugs along the way, before the larger order.

Chip said:
The only thing the Flipstart offers over the Pandora is built-in EVDO. Sure, it's great that it runs all the standard x86 games and emulators, but without gaming controls, who would want to play them?

Even with the "slim" battery the Flipstart is 35% thicker and more than twice as heavy as the Pandora. All that extra bulk and only 1-3hrs of battery life? No thanks. If you need an ultra-portable Windows device that badly, spend the extra $50 and get the Aigo.

I solved the gaming controls problem by using an official PS2 dual analogue controller connected via a small USB adapter.

I did not purchase the Flipstart for gaming, I only started using it for this when I realised just how well it could run many PC games and X86 emulators. This is what got me interested in the potential of a clamshell gaming / emulation dedicated UMPC in the first place and is why I am keeping an eye on the Pandora UMPC.

Lodis said:
I solved the gaming controls problem by using an official PS2 dual analogue controller connected via a small USB adapter.
But then it is no longer a handheld device ;)

Back