Vinagre (Gnome Vnc Client) In Angstrom?

ben_dash

Still Fresh
I Googled for it and I searched the Angstrom repo website for it but I am not sure if Angstrom has the Vinagre VNC client.

I believe it was packaged with Gnome 2.24.

Since the screen on the Pandora is lower resolution than any of the servers that I'd want to VNC into, the scaling feature of Vinagre is going to be REALLY useful.

Alternatively, if Vinagre is not available, does anyone know of any other good VNC clients that have scaling?

I know Angstrom has other VNC clients but not sure if they have the scaling feature you are looking for. It is possible to port it though.

I'm planning on loading Gentoo on my Pandora anyway, so Vinagre shouldn't be a problem. I was just curious what options Angstrom had and whether it would be worth keeping it.

At my work i'm very used to use ssh with the -X parameter so i can call X aplications and they are lunched at my desktop as any other local aplication,
At pandora it will be possible right?

brunox69 said:
At my work i'm very used to use ssh with the -X parameter so i can call X aplications and they are lunched at my desktop as any other local aplication,
Should work nicely on a computer on the same Lan as the Pandora. Like from a server or desktop in your home when you're sitting on your couch or in bed. Over the 'net the connection is very slow, and refresh times are pretty bad. VNC is definately the way to go when you're out and about.

Last edited by a moderator:
im looking for a more server scaling option, save up bandwidth and pump better performance

I just use the -X at local network, if it's possible this will be very usable.
What should be better use rdesktop or vnc? when connecitng via internet I use rdesktop

sorry for any mistake:
little drunk+bad english!!

mindlord said:
brunox69 said:
Should work nicely on a computer on the same Lan as the Pandora. Like from a server or desktop in your home when you're sitting on your couch or in bed. Over the 'net the connection is very slow, and refresh times are pretty bad. VNC is definately the way to go when you're out and about.

DroneB Dev said:
im looking for a more server scaling option, save up bandwidth and pump better performance

If you want a more compact protocol than VNC you can tunnel VNC through SSH (with compression) or use NX instead of VNC.

SPICE is going to be really cool also, but it takes a lot of bandwidth and client CPU/GPU. SPICE is a bit different than VNC and can do things that can not be done with VNC, e.g. stream DVD quality audio & video, and does so without loading the server's CPU.

Back