Videos For The Gp2x

red devil

Still Fresh
Hi guys,
New GP2X user here and I'm just wondering about videos for playing on the GP2X - is there a site you guys recommend for d/loading vids or do you go to the trouble of ripping your own (I know, I know... illegal etc etc). And which is the best format in your experience?
Otherwise - fantastic piece of kit, great community and more retro classics than I can shake a stick at!
Cheers

Red Devil

The GP2X supports divx and xvid. Cant really advise where you get them from as that *would* be illegal. However to rip your own copies is not.

Use pocket Divx to re-encode using the iriver template to cut the size down.

Hope this helps.

You can get public domain videos for the gp2x here.

And don´t ask for copyrighted stuff again, we´re very strict.

I didn't ask for anything copyrighted, I asked for "vids" to download. AFAIK ripping your own for your own use isn't illegal but sharing them is. But thanks for the warning, and I'm glad you have high standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
As to which is the better format, I prefer xvid. I find there's less artifacts in a file of comprable size when compared to divx, and I find the watermark annoying. xvid is open source as well, which to the best of my knowledge divx is not. And I mean "div-x ;)", not the stupid Best Buy player. Side note, I'm sure there's a lot of movies on the internet that are legal and a half. Ben Heckendorn's hilarious Port Washington is available from his site in MP4 format.

As to which is the better format, I prefer xvid. I find there's less artifacts in a file of comprable size when compared to divx, and I find the watermark annoying. xvid is open source as well, which to the best of my knowledge divx is not. And I mean "div-x ;)", not the stupid Best Buy player. Side note, I'm sure there's a lot of movies on the internet that are legal and a half. Ben Heckendorn's hilarious Port Washington is available from his site in MP4 format.

Thanks for the tips - much appreciated

And on my site in GP2x format...

Back