Video Interview With Evildragon

ashdjones said:
Yeah, I think 10 hours was quoted for playing videos or games. 10-15 must be for less intensive linux apps.

If there's not a text reader program with 100 hours batter life i'll be hugely dissapointed. ;)
So this Pandora is going to take down the Kindle as well, eh?

Good times a-comin'...

Last edited by a moderator:
An ebook reader will get no where near 100 hours. 100hrs was an estimate for mp3s with the screen off. Im sure whatever it is, will be more then enough though :)

If suspend to ram is fast enough and the screen and backlight can be kept on and drawn while suspended, it could last quite a while. But I'm not sure that's even possible.

i think there should be a "dynamic speed-program" for the processor
basicly an app that clocks down the cpu to the lowest rate possible, and only turns the proc-speed up depending on the action the pandora does at that very moment...

e.g.
-> proc is switched to the lowest rate, that makes running linux possible
- u open up a video
-> proc clocks as high as it is needed to run the video smoothly

imagine even improved versions of this app...
- u opened up a pdf and are reading
-> basicly noting happns, thats why the cpu will be clocked down
- ur done with reading the text that is displayed on your screen and scroll down to read the rest of it
-> cpu clocks up again
- ur done with scrolling, and start reading
-> processor clocks to a minimum again

this might not really be that well if your reading novels, and read really fast trough the pages...

but if progress trough a document very slowly, it would make sence...

I for example happen to read lecture notes from my college...
and theyre so complicated (or I'm that stupid) that I have to read every sentence 3 times to really understand what theyre talking about

Mjlink said:
Thanx for the transcription Velocity37!

Stupid iPhone only does utube

Peace

Link
there was a youtube link on that site

Crasherball said:
basicly an app that clocks down the cpu to the lowest rate possible, and only turns the proc-speed up depending on the action the pandora does at that very moment...
Squidge has stated several times that the device only draws power as an when needed. If the CPU is idle, it won't be drawing power.

Pleng said:
Crasherball said:
Squidge has stated several times that the device only draws power as an when needed. If the CPU is idle, it won't be drawing power.

Yep. That's called CPU Scaling. Every modern Linux distribution can do this :D

Last edited:
(and vista fails at it usually)

But I liked the update on information.
Your interviewer likes to use "crazy" a lot doesn't he? :p
I watched some other vids of his that were at the same convention.

Hmmm.

I didn't like the interviewer. He really seemed to be pushing and shoving for EvilDragon to move on to whatever next topic he wanted to talk about. But then maybe the "yeh yeh" and the cutting in at that last word of EvilDragon's sentance is just a cultural thing that I'm not used to. :p

The interview questions were good, I thought. Not the best, but good enough. ;)

javaJake said:
Hmmm.

I didn't like the interviewer. He really seemed to be pushing and shoving for EvilDragon to move on to whatever next topic he wanted to talk about. But then maybe the "yeh yeh" and the cutting in at that last word of EvilDragon's sentance is just a cultural thing that I'm not used to. :p

The interview questions were good, I thought. Not the best, but good enough. ;)
I noticed that too, he would ask a very insightful and interesting question, and then not let ED answer, I almost wanted to slap him a couple times.

To be fair it could be cultural and he could have been excited. Also English doesn't sound like his first language.

I think that he asked several leading questions, to which ED answered with almost an "official copy" canned answer. Kudos to ED for not giving in and saying it could do things it can't :).

Hey, I just posted another Interview that I filmed with EvilDragon where he talks about the Wiz as well: http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/gamepark-hold...iz-at-ifa-2008/

Sorry about the sound quality on the Pandora interview. I'm a wireless microphone newbie, or perhaps something was interfering with the wireless microphone..

I think the Pandora project does sound pretty amazing in the way that such an advanced hardware project can be designed by a few talented hardware and software people around the world using Gmail and the Invision Power Board, all that based on the newest and best ARM and DSP processor ever made, that's not even released in any other hardware other then the Archos 5 and the Beagle Board of course.

I have an Archos 5 right here that has this Cortex processor, which I am reviewing and posting some videos of at my other website http://archosfans.com/2008/09/05/archos-5-...he-hdmi-output/

Of course the Archos is a more video and "Internet Media Tablet" centric device, and the Archos is closed source proprietary Linux (which supports all kinds of DRM including Microsoft DRM, Macrovision, HDCP.. not many embedded Linux devices do that I guess) though, I wonder if Archos uses the same Neon 3D accelerator as in the Pandora, and thus I wonder if Archos could release a software update for their device which would be able to play Quake3 and emulate N64 and perhaps even Dreamcast as well. Though if Archos does it, they would probably have to release a "legal" video games emulator system, where you have to pay for using roms only if the games publisher even allows you to pay for it. But still, I think it would be fair to pay a fair price for games, such as $1 per game per day for N64, Dreamcast, OpenGL kind of games and $0.50 per game per day for NES, SNES, Gameboy and other simple 2D games. With ceiling of payments per game after which you don't have to pay anymore per day until there eventually comes updates for the games such as new levels or new features (imagine Nintendo releasing an online multiplayer mode for Mario Kart SNES).. There could perhaps also be game subscriptions that would give unlimited access to thousands of games for a flat monthly fee such as $5 or $10 per month.

The Archos would then I imagine also possibly have a Gamepad Dock accessory to plug on their proprietary docking connector, which would add buttons on each sides of its screen.

I think game publishers should have somekind of pressure to allow legal licencing of their old games on other hardware. And this environment would also enable a homebrew and Linux based gaming industry. Just like the Open Handset Alliance, games should be legally allowed to be run on any hardware. Game publishers shouldn't be allowed to force you to use only their own hardware to play their games.

None of this about the Archos doing gaming and emulation is official, it's just my speculation. Why the Archos might be cool also for this, it's got a 1.8" or a 2.5" hard drive built in, thus up to 500GB of built-in storage. That's enough space for a lot of games, and it's got HDMI output, a 5" touchscreen and built-in HSDPA.

Charbax said:
Game publishers shouldn't be allowed to force you to use only their own hardware to play their games.

Game publishers don't force you. Console manufacturers tare the ones guilty of that. And they're hardly likely to change their ways considering that's how they make all their money.

None of this about the Archos doing gaming and emulation is official, it's just my speculation. Why the Archos might be cool also for this, it's got a 1.8" or a 2.5" hard drive built in, thus up to 500GB of built-in storage. That's enough space for a lot of games, and it's got HDMI output, a 5" touchscreen and built-in HSDPA.

I doubt it'll ever happen. While your ideas are more than valid, if Archos had any intention of doing that they'd have done it by now. And they'd more than likely only include the feature in a new model which they can charge for, rather than as a free update to old models.

Charbax said:
Hey, I just posted another Interview that I filmed with EvilDragon where he talks about the Wiz as well: http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/gamepark-hold...iz-at-ifa-2008/

Great interview!

It's good to see some close-up high rez video of the Wiz. It looks really professional compared to the GP2X. A much nicer form factor, and something you'd be proud to be seen playing (once they replace the second d-pad with buttons, obviously. ;) ).

Charbax! I was wondering if that was you from Archosfans. I believe I may have introduced you to the Pandora - correct me if I'm wrong. Before I'd posted on your forum, you thought Archos had a 6 month exclusive on the processor.

I'm glad you got in contact with an actual mover and shaker for the Pandora to answer your questions about the hardware and keyboard and such.

icurafu said:
Great video! The Wiz does indeed look very professional.

ED, Any chance that we can get the video that was playing in the background?
Yep, I think it's still in my DVD Player, I'll convert it.

Last edited:
Back