Video Format Capabilities?

mukiex

Still Fresh
I'm just curious as to how capable the Pandora will be as far as video playback capabilities are concerned. I'm sure it'll start with mplayer but eventually, will the video processing capabilities of the chip be fully exploited? Will it be capable of 720x480 H.264 MKV Dual-Audio + Subtitles (text or bitmap styles) video? Will a custom player be made or will the direct hardware calls be built into mplayer's source?

I'm just curious, because a 16 gig SD card is $50 nowadays and that'd make the Pandora an awesome portable media player.

yes.

go look at the stats of the DSP. also, mplayer can play mkv's and all the other things you listed so i dont see the big deal

Well, that's good enough answer fer now ^_^ I guess the more important question will be if the FFMPEG libraries that mplayer/vlc use will be optimized for the OMAP or if the Pandora will get a custom media player to use its features. I'm really hoping on the former, as that's more likely to get us a video player with all the bells and whistles that plays a ton of formats. ^_^

I guess the more important question will be if the FFMPEG libraries that mplayer/vlc use will be optimized for the OMAP or if the Pandora will get a custom media player to use its features. I'm really hoping on the former, as that's more likely to get us a video player with all the bells and whistles that plays a ton of formats.

There is and has been interest in the Maemo community in doing this so I imagine it may happen, depending on what ships with the next Nokia device (or even the Pandora as it looks cool and I think I may get one to hack at). Regarding the next Nokia device, they plan to run DSP tasks to decode video and use the ARM for audio; the video decoder tasks are afaik provided by Ti. The question is, will the Pandora come with the same Ti DSP tasks...?

Back