Video Compression & Overclocking

TheCrook

Still Fresh
A few days ago I ordered my GP2X from www.gp2xstore.com, they have a deal that says that the orders are shipped out on the same day. So I ordered mine, that was 4 days ago and they haven't even shipped it yet ( Wow, that sure is some great customer service. )
This wouldn't be much of a problem if I didn't have to go on a trip the day after Christmas, 18 hours, each way. Since I have no time to sit around and get everything downloaded once I get mine in, I have been downloading everything I need and putting it into a folder. I have a few videos I want to put on the GP2X Each around 700mb.
I remember seeing in some GP2X A link to a program that would compress the video file to the right resolution, the program was suppose to be used for phones but it worked for the GP2X. Could someone link to that program, or one that is similar maybe?
I also have been looking around and I can't figure out how to over clock it, the only article on the GP2X Wiki that I could find wasn't very helpful on the matter. Could someone show me how to do that? And how badly would I mess up the GP2x is I over clocked it to much, Or would it just not do any permanent damage?

The only bad thing that can happen when you overclock too high is a crash. Your unit will be fine when you restart it, and no permanent damage will be done. To overclock, you should use the gmenu2x frontend.

As for the encoder, the app you are looking for is PocketDivXEncoder.

nickspoon posted on Dec 21 2006 at 05:34 PM said:
As for the encoder, the app you are looking for is PocketDivXEncoder.

Thanks about the Gmenu2x thing, but PocketDivXEncoder wouldn't let me do anything to the file, when ever I press preview or encode nothing happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, If you don't mind to spend ~$25 DVD Catalyst is amazing. You just put a DVD in your drive (or select a file on your comp.) and it one button. Easy to use but a lot of settings.

If you don't wanna pay they have a great trial. seven days and you get all features. no watermark...nothing.

Claym99 posted on Dec 22 2006 at 01:13 AM said:
Honestly, If you don't mind to spend ~$25 DVD Catalyst is amazing. You just put a DVD in your drive (or select a file on your comp.) and it one button. Easy to use but a lot of settings.

If you don't wanna pay they have a great trial. seven days and you get all features. no watermark...nothing.
or you can get Fair Use Wizard for free.

sam fisher posted on Dec 21 2006 at 06:53 PM said:

Thanks, I just downloaded it and it is a great program, very simple and effective. I'll see how much of the filesize I shaved off of the video once it finishes it.

Edit - Uh, something went wrong, when it was just over half way through saving the final file it gave a message that it had ran out of disk space, then when I went to check the file, it was 13 gb, all I did was make the size smaller and increase the contrast by a small amount. What when wrong?

Virtual Dub is a pain in the *** if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I know from experience. ;) Anyway, I could never get it to work with my gp32 or PDA. Pocket divx encoder is by far the simplest and easiest way to do it. Good luck however.

RockOut posted on Dec 21 2006 at 08:44 PM said:
Pocket divx encoder is by far the simplest and easiest way to do it. Good luck however.

I tried that and had trouble with it, do you know what device I am suppose to select when it firsts starts up?

Or is there some other option I have to change from default to get it to work?

fireflly2442 posted on Dec 21 2006 at 07:43 PM said:
Avidemux is nice too. There's some info on the Wiki IIRC about using it.
Yes. Avidemux was super easy for me to use. set the screen size to 320x240 (well for widescreen i've been going with 320x whatever it works out to keep the same ratio the video WAS in). the wiki has a great tutorial on the subject.
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Video_Encoding

Edit: I found when I first got my GP2X that knowing what to put on it and how to structure took some time. If you haven't already come across GP2X standards, it has some recommended file structures.
http://gp2x.projectinfinity.org.uk/viewpage.php?page_id=1

Also, if you're looking for some good games to put on it, here's a link to people's favourites. Definitely try Gmu for your music player! And i'd also suggest getting Gmenu2x your launcher.

oh... and one more great link: http://gpnewbie.com/gp2x/software.htm

TheCrook posted on Dec 21 2006 at 10:52 PM said:
I tried that and had trouble with it, do you know what device I am suppose to select when it firsts starts up?

Or is there some other option I have to change from default to get it to work?

Use the iRiver settings, and select Xvid from the advanced menu. I think those are the major things, and you shouldn't have to set anything else.

At least, I don't think there's anything else required. I'm away from my computer for another week, so PM me if those settings don't work for you and I'll explain it better when I get back.

prairiefire posted on Dec 21 2006 at 10:32 PM said:
Avidemux is nice too. There's some info on the Wiki IIRC about using it.
fireflly2442 posted on Dec 21 2006 at 07:43 PM said:
Yes. Avidemux was super easy for me to use. set the screen size to 320x240 (well for widescreen i've been going with 320x whatever it works out to keep the same ratio the video WAS in). the wiki has a great tutorial on the subject.
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Video_Encoding

After awhile of messing with that program I was able to decrease the resolution and make the 700mb file size to 400mb, now I can fit all 3 files on with ease. Also, one more question that could ruin everything, when the file isn't exactly 320 x 240 how does the video player resize it? Does it squish everything in to the right resolution, is it just blackness in the extra space, or does it crop out the extra parts? I am hoping that it is the second one. Since the videos I have are mostly wide screen I changed the resolution to around 320 x 200.

i use ashampoo shrink and burn 2, just tell it the size you want to make the movie , for example a 700mb film =200 mb and it will do it , works everytime... :blink:

TheCrook posted on Dec 22 2006 at 02:06 AM said:
sam fisher posted on Dec 21 2006 at 06:53 PM said:

Thanks, I just downloaded it and it is a great program, very simple and effective. I'll see how much of the filesize I shaved off of the video once it finishes it.

Edit - Uh, something went wrong, when it was just over half way through saving the final file it gave a message that it had ran out of disk space, then when I went to check the file, it was 13 gb, all I did was make the size smaller and increase the contrast by a small amount. What when wrong?
Virtual Dub is the best program to do, you just didn't tell it to compress the file with a codec, same goes for audio, so you ended up with a huge uncompressed file.

TheCrook posted on Dec 21 2006 at 11:31 PM said:
After awhile of messing with that program I was able to decrease the resolution and make the 700mb file size to 400mb, now I can fit all 3 files on with ease. Also, one more question that could ruin everything, when the file isn't exactly 320 x 240 how does the video player resize it? Does it squish everything in to the right resolution, is it just blackness in the extra space, or does it crop out the extra parts? I am hoping that it is the second one. Since the videos I have are mostly wide screen I changed the resolution to around 320 x 200.
It leaves blackness in the extra space, if it's widescreen and you don't crop (which is a separate filter) or manually change the aspect ratio. you can set the program to compress to a desired video size (if we're still talking avidemux).

If you're unhappy with it, you could try virtual dub and use GCDKraven's rip pack (here's the link to the thread)

Back