Vice Help

gaterooze

Coltrane Sundia
Website
Visit site
Hello,

I tried searching but could not find any references. Great port of Vice, although I have run into two issues:

1) Only tape games will work for me. Disks stick on "Loading" forever. I have toggled Warp mode on and off. Are there other settings I should play with, or should I just get the games in .prg format instead?

2) Is there a particular folder I can store games in to make them easier to navigate to from Vice bootup (i.e. that Vice would list in its initial directory)?

Thanks! It's wonderful using the keyboard to have a true c64 in my pocket!

Regarding disk games, just wait more. It takes an abnormally long amount of time, but they DO work. I don't know why they take so long (and for some reason, it makes no difference whether the Pandora is overclocked or not), I only know that I encountered it once, and left my Pandora loading one whilst writing a topic for help on it, and then as I was about to hit the post button, it sprang to life.

have you tried the true drive emulation option under drives. making sure there isnt a star really speeds up loading.

^ That didn't seem to make any difference in my case. Your mileage may vary.

Prometheus said:
^ That didn't seem to make any difference in my case. Your mileage may vary.

Yep a lot of miles. Discs load in about 10 to 20 seconds for me and that was what made the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
It worked for me too - thanks snurty. Prometheus, give it another try...

Although now my sound has stopped working in VICE. Will mess around with that.

It's a hack, sure, but I am fond of loading up all the games until a non-trivial point, and then creating save states. That way, the next time, I just set up the drives and load the save state...No waiting!

(sorry if this is absurdly obvious)

Re-enabled sound (somehow it got disabled) and now enjoying a brilliant emulator.

Also realised that Vice creates a folder in SD:/pandora/appdata and if you put your games directory in here it will show up in the initial vice directory search. Yay! Still getting used to how PNDs work, obviously...

Is there any way to access the directory of a disc from within the emulator?

I want to be able to run a PRG from compilation discs but cant find out how you do it.

I've checked on the Wiz version of VICE and the option 'Browse d64' is missing from the Pandora version. Cant understand why as it make accessing the files very difficult.

samedizombie said:

I want to be able to run a PRG from compilation discs but cant find out how you do it.

I've checked on the Wiz version of VICE and the option 'Browse d64' is missing from the Pandora version. Cant understand why as it make accessing the files very difficult.

Kick it old school:

LOAD"$",8 [then enter]

(note - to achieve this on Pandora, type L[shift-O][shift-2][shift-4][shift-2],8 )

then type LIST (or L[shift-I]) [then enter]

then to load an individual game:

LOAD"[game name]",8,1

or the first couple of letters of the game name followed by * and then the rest (although to make the * on Pandora I had to open the virtual keyboard - anyone know what else it is mapped to? I would've thought shift-8 but nope...)

GunPei2X said:
samedizombie said:

Kick it old school:

LOAD"$",8 [then enter]

(note - to achieve this on Pandora, type L[shift-O][shift-2][shift-4][shift-2],8 )

then type LIST (or L[shift-I]) [then enter]

then to load an individual game:

LOAD"[game name]",8,1

or the first couple of letters of the game name followed by * and then the rest (although to make the * on Pandora I had to open the virtual keyboard - anyone know what else it is mapped to? I would've thought shift-8 but nope...)

Looks like that's the only way then. Many thanks :)

Cant understand why 'Browse d64' is missing though :huh:

I wonder if another alternative is to load in a fast-loader cartridge (e.g. Epyx FastLoad) & boot the games from there?

GunPei2X said:
I wonder if another alternative is to load in a fast-loader cartridge (e.g. Epyx FastLoad) & boot the games from there?

I'll check it out, thanks.

I just plug an Action Replay Cartridge in and use the Fastloader. Loads most disks in seconds :)

EvilDragon said:
I just plug an Action Replay Cartridge in and use the Fastloader. Loads most disks in seconds :)

Yes, found some good ones here: http://www.theoldcomputer.com/roms/index.php?folder=Commodore/C64/Cartridge-Images

I contacted Pickle and he replied that he didn't take out the 'Browse d64' option and that it was how the VICE team had made it so someone else must have included the option.

Update:
Just checked out the version I use on GP2X & WIZ. That version is actually 'Commodore Machines: Vice2x' which is different to the one ported by Pickle. This would explain why there's no 'Browse d64' option.

authoreyes said:
It's a hack, sure, but I am fond of loading up all the games until a non-trivial point, and then creating save states. That way, the next time, I just set up the drives and load the save state...No waiting!

(sorry if this is absurdly obvious)
Obvious, no. I got my C64 in 1985 or so, and we never had that option. So I was stuck with the old methods in my mind creating a mental block. It's a good idea. Back in my day we didn't have no save states and had to walk to school in 6 feet of snow, uphill both ways!

GunPei2X said:
(although to make the * on Pandora I had to open the virtual keyboard - anyone know what else it is mapped to? I would've thought shift-8 but nope...)

I've got a discussion I'm trying to start over at the other forum to try and shed some light on that.

GunPei2X said:
FastlLoad works awesome for me. I have it loading by default when I start Vice.

$
lists the contents of the disk

/program name
loads the program called "program name"

I'm still looking to get the cursor keys remapped also so you can cursor up into the listing given by $ earlier and simply type a / at the beginning of the line for the program to load.

Back